Missing breed: Felin Pony
Breed of riding pony, bred by workers of University of Life Sciences in Lublin. Name comes from name of ranch, where first horses of breed came from. branded with letters kf on left thigh (??).
The breed has very short history. Started in 1973 with foundation mare called Gracja. The idea was to create pony useful in riding with sport potential.
In 2010 breed counted over 800 horses.
Felin pony is all purpose mount with abilities to do sport. It is miniature malopolski horse. Has fine body and active gaits. is temperamented but gentle.
Average height is 125-136, but due to short time of existence of breed, all horses between 117-148 are accepted. All colours accepted.
Genetics & what is it made from
The pony was breed from those breeds, and why
Konik - fertility, adaptation to harsh winter and immunity to dieseases (dun gene)
Hucul - strength, endurance, strong back, adaptation to polish harsh winter (tobiano gene)
Arabian horse - fine body, pretty moves, square-conformation
malopolski - beauty, all-purpose mount, easy keeper, adapted to harsh winter (appaloosa and tobiano patterns)
shetland pony - short size, easy keeper
welsh pony - tempered, but gentle, all-rounder, pretty (cream gene).
At least one parent must be kf, the other parent may be
- welsh pony
- new forest
- or cross (welsh x arabian for example)
Felin pony can compete in sport but is also strong enough to be doing light draft work. Some horses do hipotherapy.
Fragment of stud book translated:
There are few populations in breed, their purpose is to
- Creating pony useful for children and adults is sport, recreation and hipotherapy
- pony that can be used for draft work
- keeping gentle character
- lively personality
- sport-horse traits for children's sport
- good moves, jumping ability, fine looks - for sport type ponies
- strength and endurance for draft type ponies
- short size for compation ponies
- good conformation and keeping type for existing horses
Breeding programme in 1995
- 62 stallions and 205 mares of 110, or shorter and their outcrosses
- 76 stallions i 105 mares of local ponies and outcrosses
Breeding programme in 2002
- 91 stallions and 187 mares of shetland origin, shorter than 110,
- 14 stallions and 13 mares of fjord breed
- 80 stallions i 201 mares of local ponies taller than 110,
- 47 stallions and 70 mares of felin pony
- 33 stallions and 85 mares (foundation)
Few succesfull ponies
Alka, showjumping mare
Glauka, good broodmare
Gracjan, local polish champion in pony showjumping (group A)
King Size, one of the best studs in breed
Karotka, one of the best spot mares, imported to Finland
Base - chestnut, bay, seal brown, wild bay, black
Modifiers - cream, dun, sooty, flaxen
white markings - tobiano
gray - yes
appaloosa - yes
Accepted outcrosses - look in possible outcrosses