Calli's Blog - - 20th January

• I second Skye about 100000%. Your talent with your pics and stories is insane and I always love to see your updates. I love the angles, the athmosphere.... Just <3 . I must do a little visit to your stables. :grin:

• PR Committee

@Maria-Jones said in Calli's Blog - 2nd October - An Actual Update:

yay an update :D
    ilove the atmosphere in your pictures and i also love reading your stories <3

My first update in two months...my laziness is reaching new heights recently :pray: Thank you <3

@Charlie-Smith said in Calli's Blog - 2nd October - An Actual Update:

I swear you have a magic touch when it comes to writing, id die to have writing skills like that yet my words seem to just splatter onto the page with no creativity to it :laughing: . But every story you write and every story here you post that i read is just beautiful, weather it be about your horses, stable or in this case one of your characters. :heart:

And dont get me started on how amazing your pictures look. They always have that 'realistic' look to them and tell a story on their own. I also love how warm they are and how aesthetically pleasing they look.

And to end of my little appreciation rant, boy oh boy do i love your horses, Almost to death :sweat_smile: I do hope to hear and see more of your characters, i think its so cool that you have the motivation to create such a character :heart_decoration:

Aww thank you <3 :blush: I'm terribly insecure and reluctant about posting my writing anywhere because I have this wonderful talent for just rambling rather than saying what I actually want to

@Ronan-Dhall said in Calli's Blog - 2nd October - An Actual Update:

Yaay an Calli update!

I love the whole atmosphere in your pictures, the lovely decorations (omg those little cute details like the popcorn, the tea / coffee cups, just soo cute!) and of course your awesome horses! <3

You're my master when it comes to writing :D loved it to read the little story :heart_eyes:

Well someone - Y O U - keeps prodding me to be more active :unamused: I did have lots of fun decorating the house for Benedict and discovering the sheer amount of coffee cups in my game...slight hoarding habit there I think :laughing:

@Jade-Nguyen said in Calli's Blog - 2nd October - An Actual Update:

so happy to see an update! i agree with everyone above me, so amazing <3

Thank you lovely <3

@Claire-von-Hohenfeld said in Calli's Blog - 2nd October - An Actual Update:

I really enjoyed reading your little story! You should definitely post more of them ❤ I also think Benedict is such a cool and rare name! Fun fact: I also have 3 Sims-Siblings: an elder brother and a boy and a girl as siblings :)

Aww, thank you <3
    I do plan to...I have this idea in my head that I want to slowly introduce all my main characters and actually give them a reason to exist in my game; but between loading poses, waiting for my game to actually work and also having motivation, I imagine I'll never actually finish this little idea of mine
    They sound lovely! I hope you'll show them off, I love seeing how people create families and relationships in sims :kissing_closed_eyes:

@Annalena-Voigt said in Calli's Blog - 2nd October - An Actual Update:

I love the mood the pictures add to the story :heart:

Thank you! That's thanks to weeks of arguing with different lighting mods to try and find one I actually like. I have this habit of picking ones either so dark I can't even make out my pixels or blindingly bright :sunglasses:

@Skye-Valens said in Calli's Blog - 2nd October - An Actual Update:

What a great update. I love reading your stories. You really bring your characters to life.

Thank you <3 I'm happy people actually enjoyed reading that update

@Keegan-Noble said in Calli's Blog - 2nd October - An Actual Update:

I second Skye about 100000%. Your talent with your pics and stories is insane and I always love to see your updates. I love the angles, the athmosphere.... Just <3 . I must do a little visit to your stables. :grin:

Aww thank you <3 Yesssss, you should visit! With a whole heap of those gorgeous Arabians that you won't get to take back with you :p <3

• Oh hun <3 Your pictures are amazing! I love looking at them again. I need to give myself more time to visit here more and get active again so i can see more of your amazing pics :D

• PR Committee

@Serena-Bass said in Calli's Blog - 2nd October - An Actual Update:

Oh hun <3 Your pictures are amazing! I love looking at them again. I need to give myself more time to visit here more and get active again so i can see more of your amazing pics :D

Serena! <3 I'm glad to see you around :D I need to get better at writing back to you, I always intend to...I just get so easily distracted :sweat: You do need to get active again, just to show off your gorgeous pixels! We miss you <3

• i am in love with your writing and your choice of pictures! amazing <3

• PR Committee

@Siri-Kane said in Calli's Blog - 2nd October - An Actual Update:

i am in love with your writing and your choice of pictures! amazing <3

Thank you! <3

• PR Committee

alt text
    Honeybrook was the closest she'd ever come to feeling like she belonged somewhere. Clumsy in an adorable way; skittish in a frustrating way and stubborn in a tempermental way that tested even the most patient of people, Demet was often considered unteachable and too weird for her own good. Things were either black or white - good or bad, no in-between. Her out-of-the-box creativity and passion made her stand out and deep down she knew she was only offered a job at the stables because of her sister Nazli.
    alt text
    She had arrived as a fresh-faced sixteen year old with her beloved gelding Moose; together they made a striking couple with their dark hair, but they were polar opposites. He was the perfect schoolmaster; calmly jumped every fence in sight, stood patiently for hours whilst she attempted to plait his mane for shows. She rushed everywhere, dropped brushes and pieces of tack across the yard and often shouted back when given orders. Then one dreary, soggy September morning she'd rushed into the tack room, unable to see over the stack of saddles she was desperately trying not to drop and walked straight into a strong pair of arms and the darkest eyes she'd ever seen.
    "Are you okay?"
    "Let me go -"
    "I think you mean thank you for not letting you fall..."
    "Get off me!"
    There was just...something about Benedict that drew her in despite the internal screaming in her mind. Suddenly she was promoted to his groom and got to spend hours watching him effortlessly exercise his show-jumping mares. It had been his idea for her to start joining him on his usual morning trail rides and she'd been beyond delighted the day he handed her the reins of the grey mare Illyquore.
    alt text
    Demet had never truly come out of her shell; her own insecurities kept her hidden away behind her dark hair and locked in her own messy mind that never stopped. But somehow Benedict had managed to invade her space, drag down the barriers she had built to protect her childlike personality until somehow she was willingly reaching out for him and missing him on the days he was gone.
    alt text
    They'd returned home from a German bloodstock auction early in the year with young Milo; a big bulky bay with as much fire and stubbornness as Demet. She'd begged, stamped her feet and even weakly attempted bribes until it was finally decided she could be his rider for the season. Although they'd had a disastrous time at shows, she fiercely adored the horse and when Benedict had tactfully suggested letting someone more experienced take over Milo's training, she'd simply ridden off and returned without Milo, refusing to tell anyone where he was.
    alt text

F e a t u r i n g - (In order of appearance)

• Nazli Valentini (left, big sister) and Clayton L - "Moose" - dark bay Oldenburg gelding, a true gentleman and a kind, lazy soul from @Therese-Lind
    • Honeybrook Illyquore - flea-bitten grey Oldenburg mare, and Benedict Rosella
    • Woodford's Mirage - bay Oldenburg mare from @Anna-Hertler - Poggle, Demet's own rescue dog - Honeybrook Wyvern 'N Widgeon (Milo) bay sabino Oldenburg stallion
    • Honeybrook Wyvern 'N Widgeon and Demet (left) and Nazli Valentini and VPE Red Label, bay-roan KWPN stallion from @Ellory-Clarke

I finally got round to finishing this. I'm definitely starting to regret trying to give life and meaning to my characters...it's just so much work :weary: I'm also stuck in updating-hell with so, so so many pixels and I still have the dreaded pleasure of updating main site profiles for each horse too. So I'm retreating back to slacking off and I shall enjoy doing nothing for the rest of the month at least.

Thanks for reading <3

• ROANNNNNNN! * Grabby hands *

• The pictures you take are soo great! I love the kitchen and baking supply picture, it is so detailed :heart: Also loved the little story, it really adds life to your sims at the barn :two_hearts:

• I... will just sit over here and sigh dreamily at your pictures. :heart_eyes: So many little details in the pics and the story. Just super duper lovely. <3 I adore the Fall feeling you get from your pics - makes me want to get out a huge sweater and a cup of tea.

• I really love your story telling and of course your horses are always amazing. I always love reading your newest updates. I can't wait to see where Demet's story takes her she is quickly becoming one of my favorite sims of yours. She is a great character and you really bring her to life.

• PR Committee

@Neeve-Kalford said in Calli's Blog - - 20th October:

ROANNNNNNN! * Grabby hands *

No stealing him :unamused: But you can visit him for snuggles, he likes snuggles <3

@Annalena-Voigt said in Calli's Blog - - 20th October:

The pictures you take are soo great! I love the kitchen and baking supply picture, it is so detailed :heart: Also loved the little story, it really adds life to your sims at the barn :two_hearts:

Thank you! <3 I do tend to go quite decor-mad when I actually get round to building and decorating and I have this new rule that after clogging up my game and wasting quite literally hours downloading stuff, I'm gonna find a use for it somehow xD

@Keegan-Noble said in Calli's Blog - - 20th October:

I... will just sit over here and sigh dreamily at your pictures. :heart_eyes: So many little details in the pics and the story. Just super duper lovely. <3 I adore the Fall feeling you get from your pics - makes me want to get out a huge sweater and a cup of tea.

I support the big jumper and tea idea, that's my own current situation today anyway :laughing:

@Skye-Valens said in Calli's Blog - - 20th October:

I really love your story telling and of course your horses are always amazing. I always love reading your newest updates. I can't wait to see where Demet's story takes her she is quickly becoming one of my favorite sims of yours. She is a great character and you really bring her to life.

Thank you <3 I'm quite happy with Demet and her different personality to Calli, so that's fun to play around with

• PR Committee

My first update of the year :fireworks: I really wanted to update this last month but somehow, it just never happened. I thoroughly enjoyed doing naff all really, but I did recently manage to finish building enough facilities that I felt somewhat ready to actually take photos and put a use to my many, many sims. I'm definitely feeling the winter blues and spent a good amount of time switching lighting mods, so enjoy the many different looking pictures I finally decided to post...just to prove I'm still enjoying my hoard of pixel pons.

alt text
    The blanched, bleak sky hung low over the small cluster of old cottages and paddocks; thick white powder covered the earth underneath and snowflakes clung to the cluster of trees. Winter was choking the last remnants of colour and joy, casting a dark gloomy cloud over the residents as the winter moon hung in the sky all day and evening. Benedict had always considered winter as his enemy; frozen fingers, misty breath clouding the crisp air; the eerie quietness and loneliness that it seemed to bring. Of course, he'd spent most of his winters tucked away in the mountains ignoring every living being around him, choosing solitude all year round. This was his first winter in far too long being surrounded by loud Christmas songs being blasted on the radio as Demet attempted to cook breakfast for them; tinsel being hung merrily around the stables until typical Jabari decided to yank down his piece and decorate his straw bedding with it.
    alt text
    "Did you think about it?"
    "Huh? Oh...yeah..."
    "Of course you did." He muttered, shuffling impatiently as he watched for the twelfth time as Demet attempted to re-roll the bandages she'd wriggled off Moose's legs.
    "I don't want to leave," She responded quietly, glowering at the heap of cloth in her hands. He'd first been frustrated by her lack of eye contact, but it was just one of the many, many things he'd eventually accepted about her. "I have Poggle to think about - and Moose too. But...you should go, if you're restless here." Her voice faltered but her head remained looking down.
    "How can I be restless with you around?" He asked seriously, watching with an amused smile as she threw the heap of bandages back onto the floor with a muttered curse. "We'll manage here. I just thought you might enjoy a break; my mountain house isn't that far, really. We can go another time, okay? But for the love of god, get the house key back from my sister. Please!"
    "That's mean! You know Calli likes coming over for breakfast." Demet unhooked the bridle, sending a scowl in Benny's direction. She toyed with the cold leather in her hands, letting her eyes admire the gleam on Moose's dark coat as the brown gelding stared back at them both, looking as thoroughly fed up as Benedict felt.
    "That's all very well, but why is she still there when we go home in the evenings? Why is she rearranging the bookshelves and moving her things into my office?"
    "Uh..."
    "Please tell me you didn't say she could move in?"

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text
    "I hope we get snow."
    "We won't, Mags. It's England. We get rain. Lots and lots of rain."
    Margaux Rathe had turned up on a recent drizzly Thursday evening; the darkening sky and cold mist shrouding the old trailer hitched to her car but they'd all gathered around curiously as she unloaded some chubby black and white thing almost resembling a horse. He had no mane, a bushy tail and was, of course, called Beachball. Just because.
    Margaux had admitted to anyone and everyone that she'd only started riding lessons in spring to try and impress a guy - why else would one start riding? - but she had a sweet childlike personality that saw her attempt many yard tasks, which often created more work for everyone else to fix - but she tried. Nobody really understood the rapidly growing friendship between her and young Ainslie; redheaded Ainslie who spent most of her life charging around on her two young eventing rides, turned her nose up at typical yard chores and should by rights have shares in the local coffee shop for how much she frequented the place.
    "But snow is just so magical," Margaux breathed happily, reaching back to pet Nessie's shoulder. "Maybe we could get Benedict and Rupert to hire a snow machine; the horses would love it!"
    "Ask Calli," Ainslie sipped her coffee, walking alongside as the pair led Nessie across the cobbled yard to the little row of stables. "The boys will never agree to it."

alt text

F e a t u r i n g - (In order of appearance)

• Benedict Rosella, Demet Valentini and the lovely 'Moose' (Clayton L), who was in fact my first horse from the equally lovely @Therese-Lind
    • Benedict Rosella riding Woodford's Voltaire (Grey Dutch Warmblood, a Christmas gift many moons ago from @Anna-Hertler) and Demet again, with Clayton L, again
    • Margaux Rathe, Ainslie Cairstine and Nordique LX
    • Margaux Rathe attempting some sort of riding work with 'Nessie', Nordique LX from one of my favourite people here, the very creative and talented @Ariadne-Waters

Thanks for reading <3

• So happy to see an update from you! Love it as always ❤

• Gorgeous pictures, Callie and a lovely story to match. I've missed your updates :)

• PR Committee

@Jade-Nguyen said in Calli's Blog - - 3rd January:

So happy to see an update from you! Love it as always ❤

Thanks Jade <3

@Samantha-Jadirea said in Calli's Blog - - 3rd January:

Gorgeous pictures, Callie and a lovely story to match. I've missed your updates :)

Thank you! I'm happy to see you around again <3

• I loved this update Calli! The story telling was lovely... who knows what will happen when Calli finally moves in xD
    I also love the atmosphere in the pics... you've given me the idea to try a new lighting mod to signify our less than delightful British weather - it really shows your beautiful pons off so well! <3

• PR Committee

@Alex-Richards said in Calli's Blog - - 3rd January:

I loved this update Calli! The story telling was lovely... who knows what will happen when Calli finally moves in xD
    I also love the atmosphere in the pics... you've given me the idea to try a new lighting mod to signify our less than delightful British weather - it really shows your beautiful pons off so well! <3

Thank you Alex!
    There's some great lighting mods out there; it's pretty easy to find something to replicate how truly rainy England is :laughing:

• Ugh. Where is a good place to start? Or, more accurately, the right place to start? For all the places are good- so good that I cannot choose which I care to fixate on the most. :scream:

... let's do the old fashioned thing, then, and go from the beginning. You said you enjoy my essays, I think? That's good. Buckle up, sweet pea.

@Callixta-Rosella said in Calli's Blog - - 3rd January:

It wasn't lost on him that she was the embodiment of the woman he'd been searching for; winters stowed away in snowy cabins, summers sprawled on the brightest beaches, his footsteps leading him all across the world in search of something - someone. A look, a feeling that would make him matter

This opening snatched my heart and hasn't let it go. It made me already care about Benedict before I'd even met him yet.
    The second paragraph, about his history as the Rosella's lost-boy brother just... :broken_heart: I think the thing I like about it most is... ack, I don't know how to explain what you've done, but I feel it. Benedict, the boy in the shadows of a take-charge big brother and a demanding (sorry Calli) sister; Benedict, a boy who had the fortitude to leave quietly and simply; Benedict, a boy who was brought undone by 'I miss you.'

And then this-

He'd fallen in love right there and then... Although the wilderness of the world whispered his name in the bleakest moments when she refused to acknowledge him, he'd betrayed his own promise and stayed right at the farm.

I will be quite honest: I am not a romantic. But I love the poetry and flow of that bold sentence and it's such a... perfectly lonely way to describe how it feels to lose the love of a loved one. And that last bit at the end- betraying his own promise- along with that line in the next paragraph- being willing to fight his horse :joy: - I do quite enjoy the way you've brought out his quiet stubbornness. There's something wonderfully full circle about it- it's like each Rosella has their own special brand of determination.

- Ah; I've just scrolled up to reply to a comment you left me and realised I missed one :face_palm: (it was that opening line!! I told you!! SNATCHED. MY. HEART.)

I'm going to be the oddball who announces their favourite picture, is, in fact, not of some gorgeous horse or splendid yard, but the opening two, especially the second. So evocative of English meadows- I can almost hear the birds and the breeze. :heart: Though I laughed at the line about 'sweltering heat'- a British heatwave is, what, fifteen degrees? :smirk:

[Rupert] was usually... trying to convince his two headstrong sisters why they shouldn't keep taking on stray pets. He hadn't been amused at all to peel back the bed covers to find find a furry four-legged beast with a lopsided wolfish grin and a lovely set of pearly teeth growling at him.

This also made me laugh, but in a less, ah... in a more genuine way. :innocent: And this-

But for Blanca, this was their own happy little bubble; away from the prying eyes of the grooms, wondering exactly what did Rupert see in her, to the over-friendly nature of Benny and his bear hugs that left her full of hay and an unusual shyness.

- just overflows with Blanca's sweetness (and intrigue- what does Demet think about these bear hugs, hmm? AND HOW IS THE HAY INVOLVED? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? Don't tell me; I might blush)

I love the idea of a someone (in this case, a horse) being "sprinkled with mischief" and the image of a jolly old vet in red tartan pants (which did not flatter his bulging stomach). :smile: Hot chocolates with cream really are the only way to do them (I heat my cream and pour it over equal parts white and dark chocolate, just for the record) (yes, it's like drinking ganache, but it's SO WORTH IT) so extra points for Blanca there. :fist:

This little bit made me happy-

I had a bit too much fun writing for Blanca...I realized just how much I miss just taking fun pictures and writing.... I'm definitely more determined to go back to my roots of building useless things and writing rambling things.

- though, not quite as happy as this bit-

Today's Update Includes;
    ... A Horse (I have no idea)?

HAH! I wonder what @Anna-Hertler thinks of your inability to identify your horses, hmm? :smirk:

... I am somewhat embarrassed by the length this has reached only halfway through gushing about dissecting your updates.
    ... let's push on anyway though, shall we?

Demet was often considered... too weird for her own good... She rushed everywhere, dropped brushes and pieces of tack across the yard and often shouted back when given orders...
    [...] things were either black or white - good or bad, no in-between.

Hehe! Another characters whose personality you've made alive in a scant few words; I especially love the image of her shouting back at her superiors, and the part about things being black and white to her instantly made me think of Agatha, which was almost instantly followed by the thought that they would probably not get along at all. :laughing:

Suddenly she was promoted to his groom and got to spend hours watching him effortlessly exercise his show-jumping mares.

HMMM. This is a story in itself, Ms. Rosella. Stories. :spy:

Demet had never truly come out of her shell; her own insecurities kept her hidden away behind her dark hair and locked in her own messy mind that never stopped. But somehow Benedict had managed to invade her space, drag down the barriers she had built to protect her childlike personality until somehow she was willingly reaching out for him and missing him on the days he was gone.
    [...] , she fiercely adored the horse and when Benedict had tactfully suggested letting someone more experienced take over Milo's training, she'd simply ridden off and returned without Milo, refusing to tell anyone where he was.

I love the picture you've painted of their relationship? Two equally lost and shy and stubborn people, somehow managing to yield when it counts. The part in bold made me laugh, by the way. :rofl:

I'm definitely starting to regret trying to give life and meaning to my characters...it's just so much work

1. ) HOW DARE YOU.
    2. ) IT IS; I KNOW; THE STRUGGLE IS TRUE AND REAL AND GREATER THAN ALL OTHER STRUGGLES. :sob:
      ... but I love it, and I think you must also love it, even if you don't know it, because it's not possible to create something so careful and rich and full without having some kind of love or passion for what you're doing. :heart:

(pause now to cringe with me at how long this is going to be :triumph: )

Benedict had always considered winter as his enemy; frozen fingers, misty breath clouding the crisp air; the eerie quietness and loneliness that it seemed to bring.

Memo to self: don't invite Benedict to Lowmax. Poor guy would lose his mind.
    That aside, I had all these cold and silver feelings reading that opening- in the middle of Australian summer! (y'know, where the heatwaves are 40+ degrees, not 15 :smirk: )- and !!!!! JABARI. Ah, classic Jabari. How happy the image of him trashing the festive decorations makes me. :clap: And what's this discussion about Calli, making herself welcome where it seems she may not be wanted? Hmm... (I have to say, though- I love all these references you make about her activity, without having brought Calli herself into the conversation :joy: )

I really love the relationship between Margaux and Ainslie and the way you've described them both ("only started riding lessons in spring to try and impress a guy - why else would one start riding?" :laughing: ) but admittedly my brain left it pretty quickly because LOOK IT'S THE LOCH NESS MONSTER I MADE YOU!! Eeeep, how lovely it is to see a bundle of Lowmax terror joy in its new home. <3 You can gush all you like about receiving a horse from me; I am infinitely more smitten at having placed one with you. <3 <3

Finally:

from one of my favourite people here, the very creative and talented @Ariadne-Waters

alt text

Stop it; I will cry.

So, this is a big garble of text and I realise it might be difficult to get through in one sitting, so here's a summary:

• I wanted to 'upvote' the 'Benedict Rosella' update several times more than the forum allows
    • There are very few places on this forum where I can read about such well developed, interesting characters, or such flowing. evocative writing; this is one of them, and this is why it is one of my favourite blogs
    • In a similar thought, there are few establishments around that feel so real and rich in reading about that I could believe they existed; Honeybrook is one of them
    • Please delight me with more stories, about anything, at your earliest convenience.

Well. It is safe to say that I have written more today in this reply than I have in the doc I have set aside for my next update. :laughing: IT WAS WORTH IT. You are fabulous; enjoy my essay; in keeping with my terrible schedule, please mark your calendar in expectation of the next one in about six months from now. :thumbsup:

Holy hell; get off the stage, Ariadne. :face_palm: :two_hearts:

• How did i miss the update??!
    All those pictures are breathtaking and i can't pic my favourite. I loved to read the story ❤❤

Looks like your connection to EQUUS | Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.