Calli's Blog - July 19th, Saying Goodbye

• alt text

Welcome to my scrapbook...I have no idea where to start or what to ramble on about. Please forgive the rather boring table-less introduction, I have no idea how to create them and no desire to learn. So I'll just skip right to the picture part I guess.

• RESERVED
    Something useful will go here one day

• June 10.

After losing a lot of motivation in the past year, I've severely neglected several of my sim horses. Honiley was created for fun, no real reason behind it. Change can be good sometimes. Its old and covered in ivy and moss, stands no more than fifteen stallions at any given time, and is home to many breeds but mostly Trakehners and Oldenburgs.

So let's meet some of them.

alt text
    Honiley has a small handful of staff responsible for the care and training of its horses, and usually Callixta can be found pottering around in her old jeans and boots. She recently took back the training of her Oldenburg mare, Lucky Layke Lady. A somewhat grumpy and temperamental tobiano mare, she competes at low level jumping and is mostly a happy-hacker due to health issues. She's based on my RL mare, who is indeed grumpy and a complete stroppy mare.
    In the background are two new student riders hired by the new Yard Manager, a budding show jumper and eventer. Ireland Caldwell just turned the page into her seventeenth year and rides two Trakehners mares on the eventing circuit, Oceane and Alaskausa seen here, the chestnut roan.
    And refusing to look at the camera is shy sixteen year old January Whittaker. She was a groom at Wintermist (my pony stable) but since making the decision to split up my stables and maybe even completely disband Wintermist in the near future, Jan moved to Honiley with her own horse Mimo, and was given the ride on Woodford's Gribaldi, a gentle giant gelding from @Jessie-Liles.

alt text
    Ireland's overconfident personality often means rides full of chit-chat and yard gossip, much to Callixta's annoyance. Luckily for her she doesn't work with the younger riders much, although Alaska is one of the few horses that Sylvie will tolerate around her.

alt text
    Known as William around the yard, Gribaldi is a big softie and is much different than January's own little mare. So far they've yet to attend a show together but they've been busy training in the typical English gloomy weather since they got assigned together.

alt text
    Honiley is based in the lush English countryside, with its own farm ride that circles the farm and comes in extremely useful when the riders want to work on stamina with their horses. Or, in this case, they just want to race under the ancient moss trees.

alt text

alt text

As always, thanks for visiting! <3

• ... can I comment? I'm going to comment. Holler at me if I'm in the way. Cx

No disrespect to your photographs but your writing steals the show. My "attention span" is virtually non-functional (and when it does decide to show up, is rapidly depleted) so if you can produce something captivating enough to hold me to the end, it generally means you're good. I like your prose here, how uncomplicated, unaffected and personal it is, and the flow is so natural. A lovely little read. :heart:

Cute how you incorporated January's shyness into your pose selection :ok_hand: and I love that you have string lights hanging in the stable yard (more people need to commit to fabulous-but-questionably-practical-for-horses decor so that I don't feel quite as silly with the weird stuff I have in my buildings...) What is going to happen to the Wintermist ponies if you disband it? :scream:

Lots of people seem to be losing motivation; I hope you're able to get your groove back soon. In the interim:

Please forgive the rather boring table-less introduction, I have no idea how to create them and no desire to learn. So I'll just skip right to the picture part I guess.

We can be comrades in table-less-ness. :fist: :heart:

• @Ariadne-Waters comments are totally welcome, I just got a little bit sidetracked to actually make that clear. The joys of being a twenty-something year old with the mind of a two year old :expressionless:
    Coming from you that's a huge compliment, thank you! I love to write but jeez I just get too distracted to actually get anywhere. But of course I love to read other people's writing and updates (yours included! <3 )
    January is a fun little character, I just wish I could stop tweaking her in CAS. She's rocked many looks since her creation. I'm pretty sure the wonderful poses in the first picture are made by @Merida-Dahmer, and it just seemed fitting that she'd be the one ducking out of the way. That's usually my trick too :p
    And alas, I am more than relieved to find someone else not jumping onto the fancy tables. Forum stuff scares me. I break things too much :(

• So nice to see you've started a new blog Callixta, also don't worry about tables. I don't think it's a must for blogs..I mean what counts are the pictures/stories right? And those you know how to do, so no need to be sad or disappointed! : )

• Gotta agree with Bree here! No need for tables, they are just such pain in the a.. hrm butt to keep up to date anyway!
    I love your little stories and I can't wait to see what happens at your stables next. You already know that your personal rescue center stands ready to take in the ponies you don't want anymore, if you decide you can't keep them :kissing_cat:

• Aww, so nice to see your pictures again, I've been wondering when you open new album and here it is! Pictures are beautiful as always and so the stories, I love the atmosphere in there. Spoil us with your stunning horses :)

• Beautiful pictures, I really love all the pretty flowers, they work really well with the horses <3

@Ariadne-Waters said in Honiley - Trial Ride, 10th June:

I love that you have string lights hanging in the stable yard (more people need to commit to fabulous-but-questionably-practical-for-horses decor so that I don't feel quite as silly with the weird stuff I have in my buildings...)

^ I totally second this, maybe I'll have to commit to this too :) I just love the combinations you've come up with.

Alaskausa! He's gorgeous! Apparently I have a thing for red roans. I never know that :)

@Callixta-Rosella said in Honiley - Trial Ride, 10th June:

June 10.

After losing a lot of motivation in the past year, I've severely neglected several of my sim horses. Honiley was created for fun, no real reason behind it. Change can be good sometimes.

^ I can relate. Just do things for fun. It is so good to see you back, and your lovely horses and barns again :) I don't think I can upvote your post enough times!

• Competition Committee

Whoo! Calli, how happy I am that you've decided to share your beauties on here with us :) been waiting long enough :P

Your pons are beautiful, and I love the atmosphere of your barn and pictures: really makes me wanna move in :P

I love your story telling and your characters - I love hearing about their lives, and reading about their adventures. You make them so unique and interesting, and so unlike any other sims in the world. I always look forward to reading the next part of any of your stories.

And your building skills......GIRL, GIMME!!!!! that's all I have to say about that

Can't wait to see/read more :)
    <3

• Your horses are always stunning Calli! I always love seeing your beautiful worlds and stables. I love how all your staff and horses have their own unique personalities. I'm definitely going to be stalking this blog. I can never get enough of your gorgeous pics!

• Aaaah these scenery pictures gives me life :heart_eyes:

Awesome character descriptions and beautiful pictures. I'm looking forward to further updates :slight_smile:

• @Callixta-Rosella

Could you please tell me which lanterns you used on the first picture. I used to have something similar and can't find them now, and you've inspired me to do something with them!Thanks :)

• What a lovely hack! Both horses and their riders seems to really enjoy it :D and the surroundings are really lovely too <3

Btw, where did you find these helmets? Are these the accessoary ones from Carmen? I know that I've seen these somewhere but can't remember exactly where xD

• @Bree-Asgard Thank you so much for your lovely comment <3 I'm definitely feeling good about the lack of tables on this little blog.

@Jessie-Liles Haha, well I'm sure I'd have the problem of constantly changing horses in the tables since so many of mine end up at your Rescue Centre :p I still haven't worked anything out for the ponies, but ponies like to live in fields...right?

@Constantine-Vale Thank you! I was actually really sad to get my last blog deleted, but clever me went on a big cleaning spree on Imgur and deleted every picture without even thinking they were posted on the forum too :( So, from now on - no more cleaning! A rule I could happily live with in real life too :D

@Samantha-Jadirea Thank you so much, your comment made me smile so much!
    I'm starting to just love roans in general right now, but chestnuts will always be my favourite colour so I'm sure I'll end up with more than just Alaska one day hehe.

@Chloe-Dunbar Hiiii Chloe! :D Your so sweet, thank you so much! You can definitely move in but I will insist - yes, insist on Hamster moving too. Definitely need more of his cute antics! <3
    And you know something - one of my favourite barns is the barn you made me! You made me this super cute little barn shell for a few ponies, with a little storage room. And its still one of my favourites. If only I could actually find a world for my pony stable, but I will show it off one day with your amazing talented skills! <3

@Skye-Valens Thank you :) I have quite a few gorgeous PL and SH horses to show off too, I'll never have enough of them.

@Merida-Dahmer Thanks :D It was fun to explore the world, its one Josephine made but I made a few tweaks to it in CAW but the scenery is just amazing. And, I've stayed in this world long enough to build 2 barns. My stable has two barns now :D

@Samantha-Jadirea Sure! They are from an EA store set...I can't remember if its the one with the big water wheel thing or the bohemian outdoor canopy set. But if you need the lantern file just DM me your email address <3

@Christina-Lindblad Hacking out was always my favourite part of riding, just relaxing and enjoying the scenery, and it was nice to use not-so-perfect poses too.
    They are indeed Carmen's accessory helmets, they're great to use with certain hairstyles. I really should give my sims shorter hair to work better with the helmets though hehe <3

• June 14.

This update is so long overdue, but I'm finally getting round to posting something about him. This horse deserve so much more picture-time than he gets, someone please love him for me

Welcome to the madness of Jabari and his owners. He has a little book of nicknames written about him in the tack room - Satan, Devil etc. You get the idea. But Callixta, his rider, will only ever call him Jakey. He deserves far worse, but she's far too defensive over her headstrong Dutch Warmblood to admit her real fears about him.

alt text
    "Maybe its time..."
    "No!"
    "Cal, be reasonable..."
    "No!" Not caring that she sounded and looked far more immature than her twenty-six years, Callixta stamped her foot.
    Foot stamping always adds the extra flare to your statement.

alt text
    "What the hell happened?"
    "Stop shouting, your upsetting Jakey!"
    "That damn horse upsets me."
    "He just...panicked, Emmett. He gets scared, you know he does." Callixta turned around from adjusting the saddle to see her best friend wagging his finger at her. His fingers only began pointing when he was mad.
    "You can't control him! What will Nate say when he finds out?"
    "Well I'm not telling him," Callixta had learned the hard way that just keeping certain things - such as the unsurprising news she had taken yet another fall of Jakey - were best kept to herself. Nathan only worried and it had taken her weeks to persuade him to let them compete in New Jersey.
    alt text

alt text
    Everything had been going so well. Looking back, it had been going too well. She hadn't felt brave enough to take him on a cross country course since her sudden one-way dunking in the water fence at their last show, so she'd settled for the safe dressage arena, almost convincing herself that Jakey would excel this time.
    It had happened so quickly, but after almost three years of riding Jakey, she had learned the art of flying quite well. Really, she was secretly pleased with just how flexible she still was. She'd landed once with her head somewhere near her knees and an arm twisted behind her and she had still managed to stand back up.
    No. Their trip to New Jersey had been a total waste of the farm's limited funds and a waste of time. All it had really done was confirmed Nathan's worst nightmare that she was dealing with a horse far too much for her to handle, and Jakey's delighted dance over the dressage picket fence had convinced his silent-half-owner Emmett out of the shadows and on a plane to England.

alt text
    "What on earth are you doing?"
    Callixta teetered on the edge of the mounting block, throwing a scowl in Emmett's direction before sliding her foot into the stirrup. Jakey was even more impatient than she was, and had taught himself a five second rule. She only ever had five seconds to salute at judges or hop into the saddle before he began to wander off.
    "Practicing for Sunday of course. Do me a favour and put some -"
    The shrill tell-tale ring tone of the young groom's phone broke Callixta's sentence, giving Jakey the perfect early-end to his five seconds. With an over-flourished sideways leap he flounced off, leaving Callixta gripping to his saddle with nothing more than sheer panic.
    "Calli, wait!"

alt text
    Callixta was pretty sure Jakey suffered from multiple personality disorder. She'd even tried to convince their local vet of that, but he'd laughed his way off the farm and now referred to her as the crazy lady. Admittedly it was true, she was as crazy as her beloved horse.
    Jakey was bred to jump; it was in his bloodlines, but more than that it was in his heart. Flatwork bored him endlessly and their dressage tests were often full of mistakes they were too lazy to correct in training. He had never mastered control or grace, but he had enough scope to see them clear in both jumping phases.
    Unfortunately for the pair of them, they aren't above the repeat-this-until-you-get-it-right mantra of the head trainer Gregg and Jakey's patience can literally be seen walking out of the arena after one attempt at gridwork. Often the tiny fences turn into fire breathing monsters and dragons, but sadly for Jakey, the humans just don't see them.

alt text
    "Your not hacking out with us are you?" Emmett didn't ride much; he'd worked his way across many boarding yards and studs to become a top stud manager, responsible for producing some incredibly talented youngsters; but since joining the Honiley team he demanded a horse to work with.
    "Yes. Problem with that?"
    "Just don't fall off," He grumbled. "And don't go charging off again, you were just lucky that wagon driver could stop in enough time."
    "It wasn't like I wanted to gallop down the main road." Callixta muttered to herself, wincing at the memory.
    "You really should call the vet though Cal. For everyone's sake."

I bred Jabari over two years ago now. Two years! He's always been my favourite horse; there's just something about him. He's always been fun to take pictures and write for; and he's also my top horse. He's often overlooked by other horses I own from other people with more popular bloodlines but I have received a few breeding requests for him in the past.
    He has 3 foals already owned by Elin and @Jessie-Liles, but it's very likely he'll be gelded in the near future. Emmett's determined that will help to settle Jakey into a safer horse, although Callixta's other half Nathan would much rather just sell the horse.
    Emmett can be seen riding a new gelding to the farm, Smokin' Joe REC that we recently bought from @Breanna-Fahnestock. He's so different to Jakey, I just couldn't resist putting them side by side <3

Whilst writing this update I've discovered that my beloved little Jabari (not so little really) has a whopping 384 points. He holds the Eventing International Title with 200 points and is a Dressage National Champion with 180 points. I had no idea just how well he'd done!

I can't be the only one with a firm favourite, so feel free to share your favourite horse. I'd love to hear why they are your favourites!

As always, thanks for reading! <3

• oh wow! i love a horse with flair.

This update is perfect to me, i love expressing my horses personalities and i can see here very clearly the personality of this one! (well, personaliTIES ;) dw i believe you, we have one JUST the same..) its so hard when they're attatched to a horse. sometimes you have to think rationally on the side of safety to as to what theyre capable of..

have you considered giving him the snip? :scissors:

and on the subject of favorites... Larry, all the way. I miss that old boy, he was an asshat too :)

• Lovely update, I really like the story. It's something I've been through. Poor Calli and Jakey. It sounds like they could do with some help from a horse whisperer.

• True story: I started replying to this two/three days ago, except I got up halfway through to help my housemate bring something in from her car, and, in the process, had something direly unfortunate+horrendously unspeakable happen involving my right foot and a long, rusted nail, and I didn't feel like finishing after that. xD So this comment has been sitting here, untouched, for two days. But now I'm finishing it! This update is too good to ignore. :thumbsup:

she's far too defensive over her headstrong Dutch Warmblood to admit her real fears about him.

Oh gosh. We need to start a self-help group for Callixta and Agatha and any other character with grave misconceptions about their horse or pony. We can call it Guys, Your Horses Are Awful and You're Delusional Anonymous. Meetings are Tuesdays, 5 PM; tea and coffee supplied. We have jackets!

"Maybe its time..."
    "No!"
    "Cal, be reasonable..."

I love this- the best stories are often to be found in what isn't said, right? :laughing:

Foot stamping always adds the extra flare to your statement.

Yes yes I do like a bit of flair now and then; Callixta seems to have got the routine down-pat.

" Callixta was pretty sure Jakey suffered from multiple personality disorder. She'd even tried to convince their local vet of that, but he'd laughed his way off the farm and now referred to her as the crazy lady...
    ... Jakey's patience can literally be seen walking out of the arena after one attempt at gridwork..."

This had me giggling. Poor Jakey; I don't think he's the first horse to lose focus during grid work. And :hand_splayed: I can unofficially verify that multiple personality disorder among horses is a thing! I swear my old TB had it. One day he'd be nice as pie; the next he'd be like :middle_finger: and throw you in the bushes on your ride out for no good reason. I think he's the reason I don't trust Thoroughbreds. :thinking:

I can't be the only one with a firm favourite, so feel free to share your favourite horse. I'd love to hear why they are your favourites!

Heh, I was reading through this update, thinking to myself, 'an entire update dedicated to Jabari, my favourite among Callixta's myriads; this is the best thing ever'
    So, yeah. I think I may have already told you this, but my favourite of your horses is Jabari. Hands down. Probably because I know the most about him.. but I think he'd still hold top spot even if I did know more about the others. :P I don't have a favourite among my own. I'm a fair and equitable Sims-ruler and love them all the same it's definitely Poquelin nothing. :eyes:

Hmm. I'm almost sad to hear of his likely gelding, but I'm also feeling the joy on behalf of the majority at Honiley. :grin: It'll be interesting to see how it affects Jabari... if it alters him at all. :smirk: He's looking quite handsome in these pictures- he seems darker than I remember though? Perhaps it's different shine markings. :thinking: Gorgeous, all the same. Looking forward to reading about Jakey's next adventure (and the fallout it causes :laughing: )

• Competition Committee

My favorite Oldenburg breeder finally has a blog! I love seeing your horses and updates so much! I've been following your stories and entries on ES and I'm glad to see them EQ as well. :heart:

• @Patsy-Brennan eeep, thank you! <3 Jakey definitely has flair and everything else too. He's just a really fun horse, I'm so glad that I bred and kept him.
    Its very likely he'll be gelded in the near future...he has 3 foals now but I must admit I do want a foal from him myself eventually

@Samantha-Jadirea That's kind of cool you've been through this sort of thing. Jakey is sort of based on quite a few ponies I owned many years ago, and I'm definitely not sure I could ever cope with a real version of him. A horse whisperer sounds like a fun thing, I wonder if there will ever be a horsemanship clinic or something I could enter him into :)

@Ariadne-Waters Ugh, that sounds rather unpleasant. I hope your foot recovered from meeting that damned nail <3
    Calli will definitely be there! She definitely needs some self help hehe, but coffee and biscuits, and she'll be there.
    Would you believe it's my rather immature thirty-something year old husband who stamps his feet? My man just cannot cope with not getting his own way and is still sure the way to win the argument is through foot-stamping :laughing:
    Haha, I'm pretty sure it exists too! I had a few Welsh Mountain ponies growing up and one of them suffered from it. Just like your TB she could be so sweet and friendly one day, then the next day I was learning how to fly. I just always put it down to her being a chestnut mare though back then.
    I'm always happy to hear Jabari is liked by other people, it makes me feel a bit more normal for favoriting him so much. And I'm equally happy that I guessed Poquelin would be your favourite, but I agree - its much better to just live in denial and insist there's no favouritism in your stable :angel:
    Thank you so much for your lovely essay of a reply <3

@Johanna-Masters Thank you! <3 I'm having a bit too much fun with the RP shows at ES and always have a hard time selecting just a few horses to enter, but it also gives me a chance to show off my more severely neglected pons.

Looks like your connection to EQUUS | Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.