[CC][C:L10][RP Phase Complete] Endurance

• Competition Committee
    Silver Berry's Endurance Trials
    ENDURANCE
    18.06-20.06.2017 11:59 PM EST
    Judged by Charlie Smith

Regulations

• All entry fees must be paid in full to the CC ENDURANCE account on the main site for your entry to be processed.
    • The system does not accept punctuation in payments at this time. If you put, for example, $50.00 when you send payment, you will be sending $5,000! Just type in $50 with no decimal places. Please pay once for your entire entry, not per horse!
    • Payments must be made by the same member who entered the horse.
    • Horses may not be cross-entered in different levels at the same show.
    • Riders may compete up to two horses in each class.
    • Horses must be registered with the appropriate discipline to be eligible to compete.
    • Member can enter up to 5 horses per level with 50 horses total.
    • If there are more than 14 participants in one class, it will be split. Classes with fewer than 10 participants will have phantom horses added to meet the minimum requirement.
    • Go to the ENDURANCE Leaderboard to check your horse's current level. Horses may enter below their level but those entered above will be disqualified and entry fee confiscated.
    • Error change requests/discipline declarations are not guaranteed to be completed by end of show, especially those submitted on its final day.
    • Undeclared horses will be disqualified and entry fee confiscated.
    • Duplicate entries will result in a DQ and will not be refunded. If the same horse is entered by multiple members, only first entry is taken into account and any following entries will be disqualified.

Classes & Fees

• 10 MILES (1): $75 entry fee
    • 20 MILES (2): $150 entry fee
    • 30 MILES (3): $225 entry fee
    • 40 MILES (4): $300 entry fee
    • 50 MILES (5): $375 entry fee
    • 60 MILES (6): $450 entry fee
    • 70 MILES (7): $525 entry fee
    • 80 MILES (8): $600 entry fee
    • 90 MILES (9): $675 entry fee
    • 100 MILES (10): $750 entry fee

Entry Card

CLICK HERE TO ENTER THE SHOW
    Raw entry list

alt text

Questions, comments, and entry corrections should be posted as replies to this thread.

• Development Committee

Can you move #12420 Eclipse EXQ to Level 6 please, thanks.

• PR Committee

*Varshadriss should be ID number 11650

• Administrators

24695 F Dangerpie's correct name is just Dangerpie so please just remove that F :confounded:

• ROLEPLAY PHASE

Guidelines

• This phase will remain open for 14 days from the time of this post.
    • You can submit any photo, story or a combination photo and story.
    • Horses need to be entered in the randomized phase to qualify.
    • Horses that have been disqualified may enter and collect points.
    • A total of 5 horses per member can be entered in the Role Play phase.

Minimum Requirements

• Story entries must be at least 300 words long and related to the show or the entry will not be counted. Entries longer than 300 words will not receive extra achievement points.
    • Photos can be inspired by how your horse did in the competition portion of the show or you can do anything related to the show - e.g. arriving at the show, watching a class, etc.

Rewards

• One entry will award 2 points (photo or story).
    • If both a picture and story are submitted, 1 extra point is awarded for a possible total of 3 points per horse.
    • Each entry in the Roleplay Phase will award 20 Achievement Points ($1,000 prize money). For more information on Achievement Points please see The Achievement Points Guide

ENTRY CARD

Entries must be submitted via the Roleplay Phase Entry Form to be counted and earn RP Rewards

• Administrators

"Let’s see the photos, Elsie.”
    "Look, Lou.... the thing is-"
    “There’s only one?”
    “Yeah meant to get more of course but then there was this lady with these cute little pupp-“
    "That's actually a pretty good photo."
    "Uhh, thanks."
    "I mean, if you were intending to get a photo of a tree. I'm sorry I got in your way."
    “Well she looks really good! And you can hardly see your resting bitch face at all!”
    “Thanks. I appreciate it. ”
    “And you can’t tell that she took a huge poo in the trailer and walked all in it and made a mess of herself.”
    “Truly, you’ve done me a favor.”
    “And this angle is really flattering for when you start getting tired and your equitation isn’t all that fabulous. And the blur hides that you need a new breastplate because the sheepskin on that one is all gross.”
    “Why are we friends?”
    “Because you’re sensible and good at things and I wildly encourage chaos in our lives. It keeps you busy. If it wasn’t for me you’d be so bored.”
    “Ah. I really do owe you a favor then.”
    “I’d say!”
    “Is there anything you approved of today?”
    “I saw some cute dogs around the camp! There were pugs! Let’s get a pug!”
    “Let’s not get a pug. Let’s get clean and go home.”
    “I’ll change your mind. I’ll get the pug. Pugs are like joy made of chub and face wrinkles.”
    “I… don’t think anyone’s ever said those were good things. Especially in combination.”
    “I’ll get some out-of-focus pug photos for you. You’ll see!”
    “Remind me to get you some photography classes for your birthday. You need some.”
    “Thanks! How did the race go, by the way?”
    “Badly. I’m off, I need a shower.”
    “Oh. Bummer. Oh wait, Lou! It was actually my birthday last week!”
    “Delightful.”

(OOC: I took this photo just to check that my camera angle was properly vertical riiight before my PC crashed. Gotta work with what you have!)

• Administrators

It wasn’t uncommon for Kieran to not hear from Lana for long periods when she went to one of the larger endurance races on the mainland without him. She was in charge of transporting their frankly alarming amount of horses, plus being responsible for her own ride, and was usually too busy to talk. Kier preferred to stay behind and mind the farm- He didn’t care for boats or crowds. So, he was surprised to get a call from her only a few minutes after the race had ended and the results had been posted online. Ibiza and Lana had pulled an impressive second which would only be good for Ibiza’s stud career and the estate. Kieran answered expecting an ecstatic Lana only to have her bark furiously in his ear as soon as he said hello.
    “We’re getting rid of him. I don’t care if the entire business crumbles underneath us, he’s got to go. This isn’t for debate, I’m only telling you so you don’t fret when he isn’t on the boat home.”

Kieran pursed his lips and tried to keep the laughter out of his voice. It was hardly the first time Lana had threatened to sell Ibiza, the stallion had a knack for pissing her off.

“Are you giving him away to the first mainlander who wants him, then?”
    “I’m thinking of setting him free, actually. No one deserves to live with him.”
    “What has he done this time? You’ve only just finished, I thought you did well.”
    “We did! He had his best race yet, I was rewarding him with a nice cool swim in a creek when he decided some rock walls across the stream were absolutely terrifying. I wasn’t prepared for a spook and naturally I came off right in the water. In front of a photographer, no less.”
    “Oh, dear. Were they scary walls, then?”
    “They were plain old stacked rocks. He just did it to dump me.”
    “Unfortunate. Are you still sold on setting him free?”

Lana paused and Kieran heard what could only be Ibiza making soft wuffing noises near the phone, nuzzling Lana and hunting for either treats or forgiveness. Probably treats.

Lana sighed. “I guess he can stay. Until he does something truly awful. Then I really am turning him loose and he’s someone else’s problem.”

Lana hung up and Kieran finally let out the laugh he’d been holding in. As if Lana would ever actually give up the horse they all loved, no matter how many creeks he dumped her in.

alt text

• It was one of those days that started out bad, and only got worse. Skjóna somehow managed to step one of her shoes off in the trailer sothe very first order of business at the showgrounds was to put it back on. Now in a bit of a hurry, Jayde got changed only to realize the breaches she had intended to wear had ripped along the seam on the left leg. Scrambling to get to the start in time, Jayde dug out and put on the spare pair of breaches she had thankfully brought along, mounted, and muttered a few prayers to any higher power that might be listening to please let the day get better.

Apparently, said higher powers were either not listening, or had just taken the day off. Out on the trail Skjóna seemed to think this was a really nice day for a stroll in the hills, and getting her to go at any faster pace than a leisurly stroll was downright impossible. Being the good rider that she is, Jayde refrained from kicking and screaming. But grinding her teeth and muttering threats about hamburgers? Now that she could do!

As the day got hotter and hotter, Jayde and Skjóna finally made it across the finishline. Talia, who had been appointed the task of being their groom for the day, stood ready with a bucket of water for Skjóna, plus a towel and a coke for Jayde. Skjóna didn't even take a second look at the water bucket, but instead stared at every single object around her, acting as if everything was a horse-eating demon that looked hungry. Jayde, who at this point was rather fed up with the race, the horse, and everything in general, didn't say a word, took the towel and stomped off towards the barn. Sensing that any attempt of cheerful conversation would just get her head bitten off, Talia followed suit.

Finally, after all the tack was off, Skjóna had been groomed and Jayde had wiped her face off and emptied her coke, she thought "alright, this didn't go well at all, but I'm gonna take a deep breath and try to be positive". On that note, she figured she'd try one more time to get Skjóna to drink. She grabbed the bucket, put it down in front of the horse and happily noticed that for the first time, Skjóna actually showed interest in the bucket. Her good mood instantly vanished again though, as it turned out all Skjóna wanted to do was play with the water and splash it all over Jayde's feet.

alt text

• alt text

SAI Edan

alt text
    Don't text and drive - SAI Depressive Black Metal

• Sharon drew a deep breath for what felt like the thousanth time today. She could not believe she had let Claira talk her into taking Jayde and Natasha to this endurance race. There had been way too many mishaps and everyone had been in a more or less foul mood all day. Especially Jayde after she had finished her race. After managing to convince Jayde and Talia to go to the canteen and get something to eat, hoping it'd lift their spirits, Sharon sat outside Skjóna's stall for a while listening to music on her phone, until it was time to go meet Natasha at the vet check.

The vet check area looked like organized chaos. Horses and people everywhere, all going in different directions but miraculously no collisions happening as far as Sharon could see. It took a minute before she spotted Natasha and Tessie, but finally she saw the pair heading towards her. Tessie was tossing her head about and trying to scratch it on Natasha's hand. Natasha looked like she was about to burst into tears. Sharon sighed, then called out so that Natasha would spot her, thereby avoiding walking into the chaos herself. Natasha managed to convince Tessie, for the moment, that she was not a scratching post and then headed towrds Sharon.

"Hey Nat, what's with the face?"
    "What face?"
    "Yours. You look like someone killed your puppy or something".
    "Hmpf. It's nothing".
    "Oh yeah? Try again".
    "Well it's.. Bah! Forget it!"
    "Nuh-uh. Out with it!"
    "Alright alright. It's Tessie. She's... I don't know..."
    "Did the vets find something wrong with her?"
    "No. Everything was fine as far as they could tell".
    "So, then what's up?"
    "She's just not been herself today. It felt like she just wasn't with me... I don't know how to explain it".
    "What? You're not telling me Tessie of all horses gave you a hard time!"
    "Oh no no no that's not it at all.Seriously she's the easiest of the horses I ride. More like her heart wasn't in it today. She wasn't trying... I mean, we came in fifth, but we could have easily been fourth, maybe even third, if she'd just been wanting to give that little bit extra, but she didn't. It's not like her at all".
    "I see. Well, she's been doing this for years, she's had a bunch of foals, she's got more titles than most of our horses... Maybe she's just done?"
    "Yeah, I suppose. God knows she's always done her very best. I shouldn't be surprised even she has a point when she's finished".
    "Let's talk about it more when we get home... Now come on, both you and that horse look like you could use a shower!"
    "Oh do we ever! Seriously, now I know what a boiled egg feels like!"

Tessie tossed her head about as if agreeing to the last statement, while Sharon burst out laughing.

alt text

• PR Committee

They unloaded the trailers before the dawn. They joined the other trucks and beaten up trailers perched just behind the dunes, some of them spilling onto the beach. Headlights and flashlights darted around as horses were ferried down ramps and onto the sand.
    Augustus stretched and yawned, nearly taking out Tamzin with an elbow. She dodged it deftly - far more awake than he was, given he’d had the night shift driving them from the way yards.

“Watch yourself, there’s all-you-can-drink coffee over in trailer three.”

Augustus smiled wryly in response, in no real hurry to go and retrieve his coffee. Team captain or no, he was an amiable person and the competition between Varsha and Niziya had started early. They were probably seeing who could stomach more black coffee this very minute. He should probably go and remind them that they were here as part of a team, but instead he wandered to the portable yards they’d constructed with much swearing and fumbling and more than a few dropped pins. Ra was seemingly unaffected by the commotion or the sounds of other horses around him, dozing happily near his haynet. He was looking a little worse for wear from the trailer dust, but otherwise in fine condition to face the starter at dawn.

A paddock over, Bas was snorting and carrying on as usual, and Augustus offered him a scratch behind the ear, which he snorted and carried on through regardless. Giving the bay a parting pat knowing all was as well as it could be, he went to retrieve his tack from the back of the trailer, hoisting it over the edge of the yard. With a parting word to Ra not to eat it while he was gone, Augustus gathered his courage to face the most daunting task of the day: two wired teammates ready to swim to the point and back just to prove their dominance.

Corinne bumped shoulders as she joined Augustus leaning against the trailer they’d parked near the starting point. He was brooding over a cup of coffee, looking somewhere between concerned and confused.

“Not having second thoughts are we? Weak stomach?”

Augustus shrugged. “No, just worried they might undermine each other's chances.”

He gestured to where Naziya and Varsha were animatedly polishing their tack, presumably in an effort to outdo one another.

“They’re just nervous, it’ll be fine,” said Corinne, giving him another friendly nudge. “Sure you’re not too worried?”

“No. Ra and I have got this covered,” Augustus smiled. Corinne took a long sip from her mug. She’d done her job.

“Well come on then, coach, it’s show time.”

Smooch was her usual cheerful self, even if there was a thin smudge of sweat darkening her sides. That was the only real sign that the sights and sounds of everything were getting to her, and the quivering of her nostrils. Corinne gaver her a quick brush and started tacking up, keeping an eye on the lightening skyline. They rode at dawn.

The riders assembled on the beach two dozen strong. Most rode on Arabs, a blessing in the milling bunch that most were not very tall. Smooch was not a tall mare regardless, and Corinne kept her to the outskirts, closer to the dunes than the waves. If she weren’t so worked up, Smooch’d be liable to try and roll, tack and all, in the water. As it was, Corinne was more interested in keeping her calm. It’d be better after the start, let the overly keen and snorting riders wear themselves out storming ahead. The attendant’s whistle sounded, and Pasha perked her ears up towards the sunrise.

logo

Tamzin was keeping a close eye on Abe as he made his way down yet another set of shallow dunes and onto the beach. There were a couple of riders ahead of them in the distance, but she couldn’t see anyone hot on their tail which was good. She preferred to stalk rather than be stalked. Abe seemed to be doing fine, his stride was even and elastic still, and he wasn’t too distracted, at least, not more distracted than normal.

The pair ahead were playing mind games with each other, sticking higher on the beach. She turned Abe towards the gently cresting waves, aiming for the wet sand and a surer surface. The sand was the real challenge with the cape, and was the biggest obstacle any of them had to overcome in reaching the finish healthy and in good time. Go too hard, and you’d be exhausted before you got there. That didn’t mean she couldn’t be smart about it.

Running a palm along Abe’s neck, it was hot but not sweaty. As the day continued to warm up, it was looking to be a glorious if hot one, and that was something else they’d have to contend with. As used to sand and the heat as all of Al Sahra’s horses were, humidity was something more novel and it took its toll.

Nudging him a little more toward the water, Tamzin let the water splash over his hooves. The spray hit them both like a breath of fresh air. Salty, fresh air. Abe jogged for a few steps, but he was a professional - the eventing was paying off - and only tossed his head a few times before resuming his even, ground covering pace.

“Good boy,” she murmured, giving him an encouraging pat as she sat back up in the saddle, taking up the reins and setting her sights on the two that were now disappearing into the scrub.

logo

Tamzin and Abe caught up with them after lunch. Varsha didn’t notice them at first, more concerned with getting down the scree path safely. She couldn’t ignore the sound of hooves approaching however, or the distinctive sound of Tamzin shouting the ‘team greeting’ at the top of her lungs.

“I thought we agreed we were only doing that for the Boss’s benefit,” smirked Varsha, turning in the saddle to grin at the Irish rider, who was looking distinctly pink under her visor. “Zahid’s not here, you don’t have to pretend with me.”

Tamzin grinned back. “Just keeping up team spirit. How’s it going?”

Varsha frowned. “Not great, we’ve had to back off a lot. I think the heat’s getting to her.”

Abe was looking the picture and health and vitality, all but dancing in place to keep pace with the dark bay mare. Sheeda shone under a thin sheen of sweat that was collecting around the edges of her tack, and Varsha didn’t want to ask anything more than a brisk walk, letting the mare set the pace. The sun had dropped behind the clouds a few times, but the heat and more importantly the humidity had been constant. There’d be no placing for them today.

“I’ve been trying to cool her off with water, but I have to keep a canteen for myself as well. We’ve been stopping at creeks, but most of them are backish so not great to drink either. It’s eating up time, but that’s okay.”

“Don’t sweat it, stay cool,” said Tamzin, offering a smile of apology. “We’ll hang with you for a while, stop him getting so overly keen. There’s a pond ahead we can take a breather at.”

logo

logo

Bas slid down the dunes like a pro, sitting back on his flanks and then exploding onto the beach. The sun was setting over the water, but they didn’t have time to dwell on the spectacle as they could see the finish line halfway down the beach, and the one team standing between them and victory.

Naziya clucked and Bas pressed into an even canter, hugging the waterline to get the best traction. The other team probably had thirty seconds, maybe a minute on them. Bas was quick on his feet, and had plenty of gas left in him, they should be able to catch them. Looking behind, there were another two teams hot on their heels - and she recognised Tamzin and Abe were right behind them. Over the wind she couldn’t hear the call clearly, but by the shouting it was probably the team greeting, or a call to go faster or else. The team in front had pulled ahead, and there was no catching them, so now it was a race for second place, and it was not a race she intended to lose.

This time she kissed at Bas, and his ears flicked back before really moving off. They knew Abe was fast, and he could run for days, Tamzin had him conditioned to a dime. Bas was fit, very fit, but Abe spent more time sprinting than he did. They’d have to push the advantage if they wanted to outrun them.

A good hundred metres from the line Naziya knew they had it. Tamzin had eased off and raised an arm in defeat. They cantered across the line maybe fifteen seconds ahead at a relaxed lope. Reining him back, Naziya trotted over in the direction of their teammates. Tamzin was sunburned red as a cherry, but she was still grinning from ear to ear, holding out her hand in congratulations.

“Close one,” she said, with a wink. “Better watch out, we’ll get you next time.”

“Don’t count on it,” smiled Naziya, “You’ll have to catch us first.

Augustus and Corinne came over to help them untack for the vet check, as their class had started and finished earlier.

“Looks like I was worried about the wrong rivalry,” said Augustus wryly, as they all looked to the dunes waiting for their final member to return. Sheeda and Varsha crossed the line at sunset, happy to be home safe and ready for a cool shower.

logo

Looks like your connection to EQUUS | Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.