Splash / Belly Spots in Finnhorses

• I noticed that one Finnhorse was unaccepted in registration because:

Finnhorses do not accept more than minimal splash, which cannot extend higher than the knees, so the belly spot is unrealistic.

As a matter of fact Finnhorses do accept any kind of splash with high socks and belly spots and very high socks exist in real life. Here are some examples I was able to find with very quick research:

V.P. Jehu
    Hagelundin Aarre (This one also has spot under his tummy but it's not visible in the pic)
    Birge
    Tototo
    Amanda Halm (Her info says "vaalea läiskä vatsan alla" which means belly spot in Finnish)
    Merimaan Ruhtinas (His info says "vtpl mahan alla", which means white spots under belly)

I hope this can be changed to MBL and that Finnhorse (Akselin Svengi L.M) to become accepted :slight_smile:

• Are any of these (or any Finnhorses for that matter...) tested for splash?

The breed permits white spotting so all those markings could already be accounted for by that which means that to permit splash belly spots, we need to know that these are in fact splash.

I'm now wondering if the breed even carries splash at all or if all the splash-like patterns are from W alleles..

On a different note, if you want to get your horse registered, just change the splash genes to W and it should pass as it is.

• Yes, there is a splashed white gene (SW-1) in Finnhorses :) A quote from Wikipedia:

SW1, one of the genes responsible for the splashed white markings, has been found in a number of individuals by genetic testing.

I'm not sure if those horses are listed are gene tested – not sure how to find out but I can try (to find time to do the massive research :sweat_smile: ) if that's really needed. Those horses I listed before were only the examples I was able to find with very quick research, there are many more out there but they're hard to find from databases if I don't remember the names. And once again, there might not be an info if that horse is gene tested and/or if there is a photo available where belly spot is visible.

However, the horse in question is not mine, I just noticed his registration decline when I was exploring the list to find my own horses :blush:

• Well, did some other quick research anyways :D

Tested for splash (SW1)
    Tintin Timjami
    Tintin Sahrami
    Vieno-Kaneli – This one has tested positive SW1 even though it has no white markings at all
    Riikin Taaleri, another pic, even more pics, passport
    Hagelundin Aarre
    Birge
    Brisitte
    Lokson Bianca
    Rahkeen Ronja
    Valon Vekkuli
    Kuukson Kipinä
    Aletheia – Tested as SW even though it has small markings only
    R.R. Vilma
    Intiaani
    Aamuntaika – Tested as SW even though it has small markings only, has blue eye

• Tiny bump :slight_smile:

• Administrators

These don't need to be bumped- the Breed Committee director will review and respond to all threads when she has time :slight_smile:

• @Nikki-Calvaria said in Splash / Belly Spots in Finnhorses:

These don't need to be bumped- the Breed Committee director will review and respond to all threads when she has time :slight_smile:

So there is a guarantee that BC director will check and see all the topics still open? There is no special hurry with this one, I just bumped because this had dropped rather down in middle of topics that had already been solved & locked and since these are reviewed rather seldom :slight_smile: So don't want to be in the situation with this one that every other ones are reviewed when they next time are and mine is lost in the down and perhaps checked a month later :sweat_smile:

• Approved :)

Looks like your connection to EQUUS | Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.