Nikki's Marking Tutorials & Tips

• Banned

When I use Outer Glow at a blaze (with two channels), then the whole Outer Glow effect has a pinkish tone in CAS (because of the pink from the snip), how can I fix that?

• I have always admired your marking skills. Thank you so much Nikki for sharing these with us :heart:

• The last tutorial was the tutorial I was missing. Thank you for sharing <3

• Administrators

@Hilda-Wilson said in Nikki's Marking Tutorials & Tips:

When I use Outer Glow at a blaze (with two channels), then the whole Outer Glow effect has a pinkish tone in CAS (because of the pink from the snip), how can I fix that?

That will be because your outer glow is not on the correct channel. The best way to handle channels with outer glow is to use clipping masks- the model I linked in the first tutorial in this thread has clipping masks pre-built into it.

When you first apply the outer glow, it will look something like this. On a 2-channel marking, that white will show up on the second channel if left white.
    alt text
    And your layers will look like this (if you're using clipping masks)
    alt text
    Clipping masks will not work on layer effects, so in order for your clipping masks to work, the layer effects need to be rasterized, or finalized.

To finalize a layer effect so it will respond to clipping masks, you need to right-click on the layer with the outer glow, and select "Convert to Smart Object" and then right click it again and select "Rasterize layer". After doing that, your layer will look like this:
    alt text
    With the Effects list no longer showing up under it.
    After that, your marking should respond to the clipping masks, with the mapping showing up on the correct channels:
    alt text
    If you're not using clipping masks, you can now lock the transparency of your marking layer and paint the second channel for the snip, which will paint the outer glow along with it. (I very much recommend using clipping masks for channels!)

Hope this made sense and helps you out :heart:

• Banned

Thank you Nikki! <3

• I am having trouble getting the 3d effect on cs2. I can't find any information online. I tried to download the nvidia texture tool plug in and it comes up in filters but it doesn't look 3d and I can't rotate or do anything at all. Also, I get this notice when I start it up that a layer has been altered so i guess it is trying to make it work without the 3d.

• @Eden-Matzner said in Nikki's Marking Tutorials & Tips:

I am having trouble getting the 3d effect on cs2. I can't find any information online. I tried to download the nvidia texture tool plug in and it comes up in filters but it doesn't look 3d and I can't rotate or do anything at all. Also, I get this notice when I start it up that a layer has been altered so i guess it is trying to make it work without the 3d.

I don't belive cs2 can do the 3D files, as it is a very very old version of the program.

• Does anyone know if GIMP has a plug in to do this?

• This tut has really helped me a lot, I used to really struggle with packaging and also mapping of markings but this straight forward tut has made a huge difference :) Thanks Puck <3

Looks like your connection to EQUUS | Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.