Wintergrün Grove Estate || Under Construction II 03.20

• The composition of your last picture is great! <3

• alt text

It's a little redundant to say it's been a while again, since that is how I started my last post. This posting every few months thing seems to be becoming the norm around here. I'd like to say that's going to change but I really can't make any promises. I'll do my best though. Things have been quite at the barn, which is my main reason for lack of posting. We gave the horses some time off, and ourselves some time to re-evaluate the stable and be able to come back with fresh goals and ideas. Sometimes you have to remember the reason your doing this, which has always been for the horses. We are excited in this new year to bring the stable back into full swing and take the horses back into the show ring. Breeding has been put as a secondary priority for the moment as we want to be producing quality stock rather than quantity.

These photos are a little old, but on today's freezing day, with the ice creeping into the windows and the horses all cuddled up in blankets(winter decided to come early in Kaunteral), I thought it fitting to remind us all that Spring and Summer are just around the corner. Who better to remind us than our very own Galileo's Summer's Fire, posing with our lovely TLM Cool Addition. The two show jumping mares have grown quite close and love to ham it up for the camera. Here they are posing in one of the paddocks in front of our home, and Summer makes sure we are always up bright and early with the feed or she screams at the gate. We love her and her fiery spirit none the less.

Next we can see PCRA Moonshadow enjoying his retirement in one of our summer pastures. After reaching his last title we were thrilled to let the old Stallion hang up the dressage saddle and enjoy being a horse. The first few months he enjoyed to pasture but has recently gotten bored, weaving and racing the fence line so our youngest daughter has taken to barrel racing with him, just for fun. They're both still learning but I'll be sure to grab a picture or two next time of the Grand Prix dressage horse trotting around our little barrels.

Following, we can see Ship Joy Doc and VNP Degemon Pride enjoying the summer sunshine. Diesel has developed the habit of sticking his nose straight up at the sun, almost like he's sun tanning. We had to start putting sunscreen on his nose this summer because his little snip was starting to burn. With him in the photo, we can see ARC Showstopper, our newest addition and another Quarter horse to add to our team, who will be getting his own feature very soon. Pridus tends to keep to himself in the herd and often wanders deep into the forest when he's put out on the large summer pasture, sometimes impossible to find. We had to move him into a paddock in August because catching him was just becoming such a hassel. Now he just keeps to himself in the corner. We are really hoping to find him a friend soon, as he just doesn't bond with any of the other horses.

Finally, we can see one of our youngsters, WGE Rostizbach, although not so young anymore in his fifth year, enjoying a roll in the summer paddock. It seems so recently that he was just a homebred foal discovering the world. He has turned into a rather wild youngster, who loves to get himself dirty. Anyone planning to ride him has to reserve at least 45 minutes just to brush off whatever he dirtied himself with that day. None the less, he's one of the friendliest and most loved horses at the barn, taking after his mother in temperament and always craving for attention.

I apologize for the novel, I'm sure no one cares as much about the mundane details of these horses lives as I do but if anyone made it through that whole word vomit, I appreciate it. I hope to be back with another post very soon, more chronological to the season, as well as update the horses profiles but we shall see. Thank you all for reading this, I appreciate all of you who still bother to check up on this irregular and boring blog haha :heartpulse:

alt text

• alt text

Well would you look at that, I actually managed a post in a timely manner. I was hoping to get something up before the new year, so here we are. What better to bring in the new year than a few new faces? We have 4 new introductions for today, who have been in our stables for quite some time now but never got properly introduced on here. So without further ado;

EVEC Nebel
    alt text

This handsome KWPN stallion has become the pride and joy of the barn, out of our own KPE Liebling and by a stud we have long admired, SG Infernal Devices. He has already begun competing in Show Jumping and Show Hunters, acquiring points in both disciplines. His beautiful grey coat tends to draw attention wherever he goes.

ARC Show Stopper
    alt text

Although small, Topper is mighty and certainly will win you over with his adorable pink nose. We purchased him at an english style AQH auction a few months ago but have taken the time to get him into shape, as he was a little rusty, before registering him and are now going to begin competing him in Show Hunters and Jumpers in the new year. We look forward to seeing his capabilities in the ring.

WGE Aquarelle
    alt text

Elle is certainly our most flash horse at the moment and the first of our KWPN x AQH crosses. She is out of our own Galileo's Summer's Fire and by Vallado AV Eloyard. This bright and feisty mare has already begun competing in Eventing, getting close to her first title as well as Show Jumping. Although she does have a fiery side to her on jumping courses, this mare tends to be quiet in the pasture and an angel to groom and lead. Tacking up does tend to be another story though and she has picked up on some bad habits that we are trying to curb.

WGE Krähe
    alt text

This well built mare, another of our International Sport Horses is Kracker. She is out of Blackstone's Nikora and by our retired dressage stud PCRA Moonshadow. She competes solely in dressage and is only 3 points away from her first title. She has a much more uncertain disposition and tends to be spooky and can be aggressive when grooming and tacking up. We hope she mellows out with age but regardless she has proven herself well capable of living up to her sire and dam's capabilities in dressage.

• Shameless bump :sweat_smile:

• Your horses are gorgeous! Love the pics! <3

• <3 <3 <3 I am so happy to see Summer

• alt text

Hello new year! We couldn't be more excited to see what 2019 has to bring, and so far, it is only good things. The horses have already had their first two competitions of the year, a Classical Dressage and Dressage show. We saw spectacular results in Dressage, specifically in a lot of our youngsters who are now all approaching titles quickly. We can only hope to see more of the same the rest of the year.

alt text

Of course the new year always starts off with dreary Winter and we can't help but get the Winter blues sometimes. Looking out to a pasture full of peaceful horses is always sure to bring some joy on the worst of days. Featured above is WGE Cognac, if you recognize her, she is all grown up now and has matured into a lovely and elegant mare.
    It was Late Afternoon when she was awaiting to be brought back into the stable and a colder day than usual. Awaiting might have been the wrong word however, for as soon as we brought out the halter she snorted and flashed us a swish of her tail. With that she was off, hooves flicking and knees high as she raised up clouds of snow. This proceeded for another hour. Eventually we decided to leave her be, if she wanted to freeze so bad, she might as well. We were inside, warm, when the snow started to fall. Frustratingly, I bundled back up and grabbed the halter.
    "You better be nice about this." I grumbled as I approached the young mare who was slowly becoming snow covered. She snorted. Her ears perked though when she noticed the bucket of grain. A few minutes later I had one happy mare in lead. Finally.

alt text

It was dawn. I yawned and stretched, opening my eyes to a dark room as I nudged Liam awake. Chores were the least enjoyable part of owning horses. Barely awake, I stumbled into my jacket, hat, mittens and threw on my boots, eyes still barely open. One more yawn and Liam and I were out the door. Chores sucked but the sunrises were worth it. Finally my eyes were actually open to see a gleaming sun and pale yellow sky rising over the mountains. I squeezed Liam hands softly and rested my head on his shoulder, taking a moment to appreciate the beauty.
    Summer was the one to break the moment, her annoying whinnying had begun. She really was a pain if you didn't feed her instantly. Sighing, I squeezed my husband's hand once more before trudging towards the mares pasture. Once Summer was sufficiently grazing, I took a moment to rest, leaning against the black fence and watching the horses. Hazle, Liam's favourite mare, and one of mine too, who had been with us since the beginning, was still peacefully sleeping. The mare was gaining in years now, heading into her teens and I looked forward to when I could reward her with a happy retirement. Liam and I were talking about breeding her again soon and selling the offspring as she neared her International Title. She was the best mom.
    Just then a flock of birds erupted from the tree tops, flitting away into the sky. They awakened both me and the mare. Me to get back to chores and Hazle for her breakfast. My stomach rumbled at the thought of breakfast and I took the new found motivation to finish quickly.

alt text

There was finally a warm day out and the horses sure were enjoying it. All day they ran up and down the fence line, prancing and kicking at each other, the air, the fence, whatever they could find. Although Spring was months away, you could feel it in the air just this one day. There was one however, who was not enjoying the sunshine, Silver. Our prime Showjumper had injured herself a few weeks prior in a tussle with Tabitha in the pasture. She'd been on stall rest for two weeks and now was confined to a small paddock. All day she paced up and down the fence line, longingly watching her previous playmates.
    In a spare moment I headed over to the fence line, calling over my Jumping partner. I did miss riding my fiesty mare.
    Hey pretty mare. Only two more days my dear. Then you can join them, as long as you're careful, can't have any more injuries. I scratched her forehead affectionately, sneaking her a piece of carrot. I know she couldn't wait until the two days were over and I was finding myself eager too. She was one of the most fun horses to jump.

@Hannah-Smiths thank you kindly :heart: We think they are pretty gorgeous too!
    @Marc-Sanders aw I'm glad :smile: We love her over here! I'll try and feature her again soon

• Cognac is so pretty ❤❤

• How can i have missed this thread! Lovely things going on here

• alt text

It is that time of year again where it is really easy to feel the Winter blues. As the picture shows, January here is grey and dark, and now that Christmas has come and gone, it can be hard to enjoy these frigid months. The hustle and bustle of the show season has given some livelyhood to our stables once more but I have still noticed that the seasonal blues are kicking in. So what better way to cure them, than family? WIth the girls quickly growing up, and both taking on a more active role in the stables, it is hard sometimes for us all to spend some time together, with everyone wrapped up in their own lives. So on the frigid Wednesday in January, I scribbled on the family Calender
    Friday - family game night in the barn, 7pm.

Friday rolled around and I finished cooling out Silver who had been put back into work following her injury. Removing her halter, I watched her galavant into the snow field, tossing her head in the air as she puffed out a cloud of steam from her nostrils.
    ”Ready for game night?” Liam came up behind me, leaning against the fence as I latched the gate shut. I nodded smiling as he placed my arm around me, leaving the mares behind us.
    ”I imagine the girls probably aren’t to happy giving up their Friday night, but I’m looking forward to it.” Liam chuckled next to me slowly before falling quiet. The snow crunched beneath our feet, a lone blue jay singing from it’s perch. Walking towards the barn, warm light glowing from the windows, I couldn’t help but smile and appreciate everything which we had built together over the years.

alt text

Opening the barn door, Liam and I were greeted with warmth and comforts that the stable always brought. Olivia was still brushing out Diesel after their ride. The quarter horse gelding stood relaxed as she swept the dust off his coat, not even flicknig an ear towards us as we entered. I smiled, reaching for my phone and quickly snapping a picture of this quiet moment. Olivia had really stepped into a role in the barn. As a child, she’d never taken as naturally as Maria, and we’d tried not to push her into it, as much as we could owning a stable. She certainly was still the least involved, and most well rounded of all of us, playing soccer in the summer and volleyball in the winter. I would have been happy either way but I loved seeing her with the horses.
    "Really mom?" She rolled her eyes as I put the phone away, happy I'd managed to get at least one photo before the complaining started. "Okay, okay, it's put away! How was your ride" I smiled, heading over to the common area of the barn and settling into one of the chairs as 'Liv switched Diesel's cooler for a warmer winter blanket and proceeded to take off his leg wraps.
    "Good, he's coming back into shape nicely, although he wasn't a fan of being in the arena all alone, I'm glad Maria came to join me at the end so he could relax a little bit" I nodded, the quarter horse gelding had been getting a bit herd bound, which was certainly not a good thing, but it was a hard habit to break. "Speaking of which, where is your sister?" Olivia pointed to the tack room and I spotted our daughter's black hair through the glass door. "Honey why don't you get the board game ready," I motioned to Liam to pick one out from where they were nestled in the office, "and I'll go let Maria know we are going to play once you turn out this guy" I patted the bay gelding on his rump from where I had stood up and he startled awake from where he had been napping. He nuzzled me briefly for treats, of which I miraculously had none, before I headed towards the tack room.

alt text

"How was your ride honey?" I shut the door behind me, asking the question to the back of my daughter's head as she leaned over and unzipped her long black boots, traiding them for worn out converse.
    "Good, I just excersized Ross, popped him over a few fences, nothing too special. He was a little lazy, but that'll change as soon as it warms up, whenever that will be" I chuckled softly, knowing it was true. Some of the horses had already started shedding out, something in the air telling them that Spring was coming. Hopefully they were right and we would see the seasons change sooner, rather than later. "Are you going out tonight after board games?" I still had a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that I had a teenage, nearly adult daughter, who went out and was grown(ish) up, but she had her license and I wasn't about to try to fight her, as long as she was safe. I would love if she was home though, and maybe this game night transitioned into a movie night and hot chocolate, like we used to do when the girls were little.
    "No, I think I'm going to stay in tonight, it's too cold out there anyways. None of my friends could believe I'm spending Friday playing board games with my family though" I smiled and sighed, knowing that the days that she would even agree to play board games with us were coming to a close, but I would take as many as I could get.

alt text

Finally my night had come to fruition. Everyone was gathered around the coffee table, various snacks thrown into bowls and tea poured into mugs. The girls laughed as children again and I watched fondly. This is what I had hoped for. Liam and Olivia had picked out "Ticket to Ride", a family favourite of ours, although I always managed to loose, but everyone always enjoyed it. Liam was sorting out the cards and Olivia deciding on who would be which colour.
    "Okay, I get to take one picture while we're all here, so I can remember that there was a time that you girls still wanted to play board gamed with your parents. Just one. Now everybody on the couch!" There were various groans and Liam laughed as the girls protested but slowly they did move into position as I set up the camera to go off on timer.
    "Now everybody SMILE" I pressed the little button and the timer began to count down. Quickly I hurried back to the couch, squeezing in between the two girls. I knew it probably wasn't a perfect picture, we were all covered in horse hair, it was in a barn, somebody probably blinked and Liam probably wasn't smiling, because he hardly ever did, but it would be perfect to me, because it was our perfect little family.

alt text

@Maria-Jones Thank you, we certainly think so! :heart:
    @Thea-Radmer Awe thank you, that's so kind :smiley:

• We have a horse for sale! WGE Helianthus, out of DPS Hazlenut Latte is up for auction. This flashy young colt carries a 15 pt dressage bonus and a 2pt eventing bonus. With an impressive 4th generation lineage, this is an opputunity you dont want to miss.
    Bidding until 24th of January, 9pm MST, 24HALB following that.

alt textalt text

• A beautiful horse, i like his bright color. Good luck with the sale. I'm sure he will find a new home in little time.

• RP Dressage Entries

Extended Trot M to H
    The chestnut gelding gathered beneath him as the approached the marker for M. Effortlessly he transitioned from a walk into trot, lengthening his stride as they extended the gait. His background in Classical Dressage made these simpler tests feel like a breeze and the rest of the test flew by effortlessly.
    Quickly they approached the centre line at an even trot. The distance to X was now second nature to Liam and he began to half halt the Stallion in preparation. An ear flicked back told him that his mount was listening. Sinking into the saddle, he asked for a halt and the chestnut quickly obliged, however they were still for half a second when Powell threw his left hind quarter to the side, breaking the squareness of the halt. It wasn't much but Liam felt his smile that had been building fade, this would be their greatest loss of points from the test, and over something so simple. A quick salut and the pair exited the arena. Liam was appreciative and patted the chestnut graciously but couldn't help but be a little disappointed that such a perfect test had ended on a bad note.
    Liam Coughlin on SI Powell, with a score of 86, Second Place Liam smiled as their placing was announced and again patted the chestnut appreciatively. Their mistake had hardly cost them and he was proud of their placing. Powell didn't have the flashy colours of some of their horses, or the impressive lineages with generations of dressage champions. He came from rather modest beginnings but he was proving to be quite the champion in his own right.
    He grinned happily as the bright blue ribbon was fastened onto his bridle, warming at the clapping and cheering as he stood among the other horses and riders. It wasn't their small mistake that he would remember from today but rather their impressive success. He was proud to be riding the underdog.

alt text

20m free walk circle at C
    Liam relaxed into the saddle and let the reins slip through his fingers as he put on leg, encouraging the bay mare to stretch down and out. They were about half way through the level 9 test, so far it had been average. It was the mare's first show back into work after the birth of her last foal, so he'd expected her to be a little rusty. This was the easy part of the test though, she'd always been an easy-going mare and was always quick to take the free rein that was given and elongate her gait. Liam let out a contented breath, taking the circle to gather his own thoughts to complete the rest of the test.
    They were approaching C and Liam began to regather his reins slowly. He never got the chance though as Hazle ripped them from his grip, quickly shifting into flight mode as she propelled herself in a leap forward. Liam wasn't even sure what they were flying from, as he hadn't noticed anything to spook her. Finally he grabbed a hold of the reins,
    "Easyyyyyyyy." His voice was loud, and certain but calm. With a tense hold of the reins he attempted to circle the mare. The test was out the window, he just wanted to get off this run away train. Beneath him the bay mare puffed clouds of steam like a dragon, the whites of her eyes still flashing.
    "Steady now." He reassured her once more, directing her into a smaller circle as she began to slow to a trot, her ears swivelling frantically. He managed to slow her to a walk, a very fast and uncertain walk, but a walk none the less and immediately headed for the exit, attempting to sooth the panicked horse.
    Isabella was quick to greet me at the exit, grabbing the reins as I got off Hazle, who had built up quite a sweat at this point. She was no longer terrified, but snorted uncertainly as we walked towards the barn,
    "Well that didn't go as planned."

alt text

@Nathaniel-Lujan Thank you, I certainly hope he does :smile:

• Oh my i simply love the last pic and the pose!! It looks so realistic (and relatable xD)

• Great Entries :D interesting to read and those are really nice pics. So special angles 😊

• I really love everything about this post. The angles in the first photo and the realism in the second are both perfection. I also love your writing.

• RP Dressage Entries Part II

alt text

"I grabbed Pridus from where he was tied, holding his lead rope loosely in my hand. The paint gelding waited patiently for me to clip on the lead rope. He was an easy going horse and walked easily next to me, relaxing his next towards the ground. front of me, Olivia was not having the same easy-going experience. Kracker, named after her fire cracker personality, was practically trotting out of the barn, ears perked and nostrils flaring. The mare always seemed to know when we were leaving for a show, probably feeding off our own energy.
    The barn doors swung open and a burst of cold air swept in. I shivered and bundled up, following my daughter out into the wind. She handled the feisty mare well and we reached the trailer, Maria waiting to open it for us. We loaded the two horses next to Hazle and Nikora who were already waiting, Kracker pawing at the trailer bed. She seemed to be slightly distracted once we gave her the hay bag but the mare had a long ride ahead of her.
    ""Well girls, about time to get going. Do you both have everything?"" We made our way back to the house for one last check and to grab a few snacks for the road. It was just going to be a girls trip, since Liam was coming down later in the evening. Both girls nodded to my question, yawning. It was early and I couldn't help but yawn myself, these early mornings didn't get easier with age.
    I grabbed a quick toast from the kitchen, not hungry for much more this early, keys and coffee in the other hand. A quick kiss from Liam and we were out the door. I checked on the horses one last time before loading into the truck. "

alt text

“Do you have everything?” Liam called from the doorstep, the lights from inside the house being the only thing to illuminate him. I peered into the low lit tack room, then back at my check list, muttering as I double checked. The small room connected to our three horse trailer was stacked full. There were numerous feed tubs, at least four white saddle pads, multiple pairs of back and front boots in colours to match our geldings with bonnets coloured to pair. Saddles and bridles hung on racks and stands whilst our helmets, tan breeches and show jackets and shirts hung, nestled between the protective casing of plastic garment bags which enclosed all of our gear. Lastly I made sure all our brushes and grooming equipment was safely secured in the back corner. Nodding I backed out of the stuffy room and called back to my husband,
    “Were all good! Where is Maria?” I looked around, trying to spot my daughter across the field,
    “Over here!” I heard her voice from the front of the truck and quickly hurried over. Once I reached her I saw Olivia coming over as well, her blond curls hidden under a red hat.
    “Did you pack the hay? Do we have all the forms and horses insurance numbers? Were set?” Olivia was always anxious before a show and I smiled kindly, nudging gently.
    “It’s all done. Why don’t you two load up the horses and we will be on our way?"" She nodded happily and raced off towards the barn, nearly slipping as she neared the doors. I smiled and warned her to slow down, I'm not sure if she heard me though,
    “Be a good girl.” I ran my hand over the mare's blaze as I jumped down from the trailer step before hurrying out of the blistery air and towards the truck. The truck roared to life as I turned the ignition, Olivia and Maria climbing in next to me. Liam opened the silver gate, the horses impatiently nudging the trailer behind us as we pushed out the gate. We were only on the road for about half an hour before the girls were leaning on each other, sound asleep. I watched the landscape pass us by and anxiously waited for our destination to be near. "

alt text

"Canter"
    I spoke softly the paint stallion. Pridus's ears immediately flicked forward, having already cantered the other direction, he knew what was coming next. Again I took more rein into my hands, bringing the horse below me together so that his relaxed trot collected into a working trot. I then sat deep in the saddle, bringing my leg below me and looking ahead. In one quick movement, I slid my outside leg back, tightened my outside rein and lifted my inside hand, shifting my weight onto my outside seat bone. It might have been nearly invisible from an inexperienced viewer but the cue spoke volumes to the black gelding, his outside hind leading smoothly into the canter. I held him together with my hands, pushing him forward with my seat and leg while giving half halts with my outside rein every few strides. His hindquarters pushed up and underneath him, bounding his front end up in front as we proceeded down the long side.
    Once we had rounded the arena once, I shortened my reins, turning him towards the middle and sitting deep in my seat as I asked for a pirouette. The white and chestnut horse picked up his inner leg, turning his body in a circle around his hindquarters. Although the movement wasn't in our test tomorrow, I wanted to push Pridus in our training so that tomorrow was a breeze. He had becoming very confident in his training at home, but a new environment always presented it's challenges.
    By the time our ride was finished, the skies were pitch black and a heavy snow fell from the sky. I was glad to the in the warm barn and dreaded the walk from here to my car.
    "Luck you get to stay curled up in here all night." I brushed over his warm and damp coat as I placed his cooler on before getting ready to wrap his tail and legs for tomorrow. A lot went into making sure a white horse stayed clean for a show.

@Jade-Nguyen Thank you, that's so kind! It certainly wasn't the best show for them haha :smile:
    @Claire-von-Hohenfeld Thanks! I was really trying to play around with angles so I appreciate that! :heart:
    @Rena-Cort Awe thank you, that's so sweet! I wasn't sure about the writing for this post so that's good to hear!

• your stories are so intriguing to read and you have such a unique editing style, its gorgeous! :heart_exclamation:

• alt text

An eager and impatient Nikora lifted her foot impatiently to stop the stone pavement as Maria approached with a bucket full of grain and an apple for the mare. Her mane was half braided, coat gleaming, as the crowd bustled around them, horses and riders passing towards the show arena and spectators exiting the barn.
    "Hey missy, manners please!" Maria hollered at the mare, crossing her arms as she waited for the mare to quit her snorting and wait patiently for her food. Nikora was feeding off the energy of everything around them, and the cold evening air wasn't helping either. Maria hadn't wanted to tack up inside the barn though, it was far to hectic in there. The mare finally calmed down and Maria set down the bucket, loosening her tie as she let Nikora devour the apple before delving into her bucket.
    Checking her watch, she realized she was running a little short on time. Putting the stool back in place she went to finish braiding the mare's short and wiry mane.

alt text

The cloud cover had cleared just as they were entering the arena for their ride, the last one of the day. Maria took a deep breath, settling the nerves that wrestled in her stomach. Their warmup had gone well and despite the mare's earlier antics, she was on her best behaviour now that they were saddled.
    You got this! She glanced behind her as her family cheered her into the ring, her twin giving her a big thumbs up. Olivia was in the same class as her but had finished earlier, with a very impressive round on Nebel. It would be hard to beat but Maria wasn't really the competitive type with her sister.
    Settling into her seat, she shortened the reins and pushed the mare forward into a canter, circling at the bottom of the ring before turning her towards the first fence, a simple and natural vertical. The mare kept a smooth and easy canter to the base, lifting off evenly from both hind limbs as she brought her knees up to her chest. Her ears were already perked to the next fence and Maria effortlessly slipped from two-point back into a half seated canter as they proceeded down the longside.
    She couldn't help but take a minute to enjoy the view. They called this arena "The top of the World" because a foot from the fence line it fell into a deep gorge, giving the most beautiful view of the mountains on the horizon, and the forest below. This evening, everything was basked in golden glow, a deep orange sunset setting on the horizon. It wasn't very often Maria had ridden in such beautiful settings. Regardless of their placing, this was an opportunity she would remember for a long time.
    Before she knew it, they came to the next jump, an oxer down the vertical line to a more visually complicated vertical. The oxer came with ease but on the landing she felt the mare get a little quick and land on the wrong lead, the flying change was no problem but they came a little short to the vertical and chipped in a stride. Settling into her seat, she reminded herself no more distractions so they could hopefully still land in the placings and avoid no more mistakes.

alt text

Our newest rider was now paired with our newest horse, ARC Showstopper and also our smallest mount, but Gavin was quickly learning not to underestimate the small horse. Their ride today was early in the morning mist, 9am and the fog still held its grip on the mountain peaks that towered over them. He arrived early at the barn, although there was still a hustle and bustle on the show grounds. The small stallion peaked his head over the gate as he approached, offering a small whinny to the man. Gavin peered in, checking if Topper had kept his end of the bargin and stayed clean over night. Braids seemed to be holding up and his wraps looked tightly done. Shavings clunk to his stable blanket, indicating that the black stallion had taken a nap through the night. Scratching between his ears, he clipped the leadrope on and opened the gate. He was running a bit behind schedule so braiding the night before had certainly been a good idea.
    Ready for today little man? He spoke softly to the horse, brushing off the shavings as he exited the stall. The quarter horse offered a small grunt in response and Gavin laughed,
    Not a fan of early mornings either?

alt text

This was Gavin's first show with the small mount and as they entered the arena he felt in his element. This was the perfect horse for hunters. His simple but clean jumping technique and neat appearance would certainly please the judges. His canter was smooth and easy, picking it up easily around the corner from an active trot. They had been the third pair to enter the ring this morning and Gavin had observed carefully the two previous, watching for any tricky spots in the course. So far it seemed straight forward and both pair had gotten through clear without too many issues. Although Topper was still new to showing, he had proven to have the attitude of a seasoned champion and the new rider had no worries for his mount.
    The first jumps, a simple 6 stride line, flew by easily as they smoothly travelled through it. Topper was an expressive jumper and over each fence perked his ears eagerly. You could tell he enjoyed it.
    The pair made it through the course easily, without any faults and Gavin felt proud of their ride, we awarded the stallion a rewarding pat as they slowed to a trot. If he kept performing in this manner, there would certainly be bigger things in the horses future, and certainly bigger jumps.
    Great ride! Liam was there to greet him at the gate, brushing Topper's neck as he slipped him a quick piece of carrot. Gavin smiled and nodded, glad his older brother had made it on time to see his round.
    Thanks, although he certainly deserves more credit than me! He motioned to his mount and scratched his withers thankfully as he walked back to the barn alongside his brother.

alt text

@Jasmine-Wilkinson Thank you :smile:

• alt text

Finally got around to editing my last two hunter entries for the Santiago Show, after just submitting them un-edited. Its been a chaotic few weeks but here is a short update for you guys! I am also planning on a spring foal crop, but I'm curious about if people would be interested in purchasing my International Sport Horses(QH x KWPN) as well as just warmbloods. Let me know your thoughts so I can gauge some interest there.

alt text
    alt text

"Loose Horse!"
    A voice called from outside the barn doors and Isabella glanced out the tack room window. She was surprised, and not pleased to see a grey mare running about, her grey mare. Leaving her tack to be put away later, she grabbed the navy blue halter and sprinted out the door. By the time she was outside, she spotted her nearly white mount a few meters away, stopped and eating from some other horses hay net.
    Isabella sighed and couldn't help but chuckle, approaching the mare cautiously, so as not to alert her into another chase. Liebling eyed her curiously but kept eating.
    Break another halter did we?" Isabella shook her head at the mare as she threw the lead rope over her neck. She got no response from the horse but her naked head was enough to say that the halter probably didn't make it. Tugging on the mare, she pulled her away from the hay and took her back, in tow, towards the trailer. She certainly wouldn't be leaving her alone again.

alt text
    alt text

"We are in hunters, not jumpers today buddy."
    Olivia spoke, in frustration at the grey stallion beneath her as he made another quick turn over the fence, cantering away much too quickly. Having just come off the jumper show last week, she could understand that he was still stuck in the as fast as possible mind set, but if they wanted to do well, she was going to have to get him to focus. She circled him slowly, at a trot, back towards the jump. With her eye on the next jump, she felt him turning mid air, before his back feet even left the ground. By the time they landed, they were no where near the straight line she'd wanted. She groaned in annoyance as they cantered away, brining him back to a walk.
    "Need some help?" She glanced up to see her mother walking over and nodded, as much as she didn't want to admit it, their class was approaching fast and she needed to get this figured out.
    "He just keeps turning mid air towards the next jump, and going way to fast. Not hunter material at all." Her mother nodded thoughtfully, rubbing the Nebel's white blaze as they stood by the fence line.
    "Maybe try not looking to the next jump at all, really under exaggerate your aids, so he can't guess where you want to go next. It'll feel counter intuitive, but it might work." Olivia considered it and gathered her reins, it was going to be tricky, after being taught for so long to look where you're going. With a deep breath, she approached the fence. Staying in the middle of the saddle, she looked straight ahead. Pushing with both calves, they cleared the fence, in a straight line. Sitting back into her saddle, she didn't ask for the turn until she was settled and they were nearly at the fence line. He was still a bit quick in his pace, but it was better.
    Maybe this wouldn't go so bad after all.

Looks like your connection to EQUUS | Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.