Forum codes - How to use them

• alt text

So many people, myself included, have been confused by the new markdown script the new Equus forum uses. The old BBCode we used to format text ([b][/b] for bolding text, [center][/center] for centering it) is now replaced by the new text-based markdown code that can take a while to learn. In order to help people memorise all the codes they need to make awesome posts, here's a brief tutorial I hope will help you guys!

This tutorial will not introduce the codes/formatting you can find on the toolbar (bolding, italic, strikethrough, links, images) unless specifically asked in the comments.

Here's what you'll find:

1. Centering text & images
    2. Tables
    3. Titles
    4. Showing codes
    5. Quotes & "spoilers"
    6. Lists

Centering

In order to center text and images, you must use the >-> Text/image here <- code. There is no quick button for this, this is one of those codes you need to remember. Note that you cannot center titles, only plain text, links and images.

Tables

Tables are a new, fun and efficient way of introducing your horses, stables, staff, breeding plans, competition results, and whatever you can think of! Currently this forum doesn't support the spoiler function we had on the old forum, so tables will definitely come in handy. Just like with centering there is no quick button for adding tables, but these are relatively easy to remember as well.

|  Title for column 1  |   Title for column 2     | 
    | ------------- |-------------| 
    | Column 1, Cell1   |  Column 2 Cell 1 |
    |Column  1 Cell 2| Column 2 Cell 2 |
    | Column 1 Cell3|  Column 2 Cell 3|

Title for column 1 Title for column 2
    Column 1, Cell1 Column 2 Cell 1
    Column 1 Cell 2 Column 2 Cell 2
    Column 1 Cell3 Column 2 Cell 3

All rows pictured above are required for the table to work. This means you must include the title cells and the |----| cells as well (only three hyphens is enough).

Titles

So there are two ways of adding titles to your text.

Hashtags Equals and hyphens
    # section heading Section heading (enter) ===============
    ## sub-section heading Sub-section heading (enter)------------------
    ### sub-sub-section heading (No third option available)

This is a heading with "#"

This is a sub-heading with "##"

This is a sub-sub heading with "###"

4th sub heading "####"

5th sub heading "#####"
    6th sub headinng "######"

After entering the hashtag, press space before typing your title. Six is the maximum limit using this style. Using the equals & hyphens method, the maximum is two:

This is a heading with "="

This is a heading with "-"

Just one equal/hyphen symbol is enough. Remember to press enter before adding the = or -.

Showing codes

If you want to show how some styles can be added like I've done here, you can do it in three different ways by either using ` or \ . With these, do not use space or enter.

Using backslash " \ "
    \*asterisks, no italic* becomes *asterisks, no italic* Only one backslash character is enough at the start of the code.

Using grave accent "``" - single accent mark
    Single accent mark can be used for just one line of code that's then turned red (can also be used to highlight text). The text must both start and end with an accent mark!

Using grave accent "``````" - triple accent mark

Triple accent mark gives you this block that can be used for a longer code, like with the tables. This box both starts and ends with three ``` marks that are separated from the code/text with enter. As you can see, this box automatically highlights conjunctions and some prepositions for some reason. 

Quotes and "spoilers"

Quotes are a good way to highlight a portion of text. I myself use this for descriptions on my blog like some people did on the old forum. Here's how:

Use one > on every line of the text. If you want to insert a quote within quote, use two (or three, but that's pushing it, IMO). Remember to press space after the >. One empty line (press enter twice) starts a new row of ordinary text. Note that when you add enough sub-quotes, they'll automatically be hidden in a spoiler. If you do not see an arrow that shows the hidden text, please refresh the page and check again, it can take a moment to load.

This is a quote.

This is a sub-quote.
    Any text you add here, even if you only use one >, is the continuation of this quote.

This is a sub-sub-quote. These should automatically appear in a spoiler! However, I have no idea if this format supports images.
    Any text you add here, no matter how many > characters you use, is the continuation of this quote. Since this is a third sub-quote, as long as there's no empty line between this block of text and the previous one, no > is necessarily needed.

There is an empty line here.

This is a new quote.

Lists

A simple list can be created just by clicking the List icon on the toolbar, but it looks rather dull if you ask me, especially if the list contains multiple items. Numbers make ordered lists (1,2,3...), asterisk, plusses and hyphens make unordered lists. Like this:

1. First ordered list item
    2. Another item
      • Unordered sub-list. Press the space bar four times before the number, otherwise you just continue the first list.
        • Unordered sub-sub-list. Press the space bar eight times before adding the asterisk.
          1. Ordered sub-sub-sub-sub-list (why would you need this?) Twelve spaces.
    3. Numbered list continues. <- when I typed this, this didn't start with a 3 but with a 1. The list updates itself automatically. If you want to make two different ordered lists, make sure there's one empty row between them. If you start with numbers and mark the next item with an asterisk, a new list is created automatically. You can only mix these with sub-lists.
      1. Numbered sub-list, item #1. Four spaces here, too, before you type the "1."
      2. Numbered sub-list, item #2. Four spaces here, too, before you type the "2."
    4. And another item.
    • Unordered list
      • Sub-list (four spaces before the asterisk, although I used a plus here)
      • A hyphen was used here. Doesn't make any difference.

Here's how this looks. Don't forget to press space after adding the number/asterisk to start your list.

1. First ordered list item
    2. Another item
        * Unordered sub-list. Press the space bar four times before the number, otherwise you just continue the first list.
            * Unordered sub-sub-list. Press the space bar eight times before adding the asterisk.
                1.  Ordered sub-sub-sub-sub-list (why would you need this?) Twelve spaces.
    1. Numbered list continues. <- when I typed this, this didn't start with a 3 but with a 1. The list updates itself automatically. If you want to make two different ordered lists, make sure there's one empty row between them. If you start with numbers and mark the next item with an asterisk, a new list is created automatically. You can only mix these with sub-lists.
        1. Numbered sub-list, item #1. Four spaces here, too, before you type the "1."
        2. Numbered sub-list, item #2. Four spaces here, too, before you type the "2."
    4. And another item. 
    * Unordered list
        + Sub-list (four spaces before the asterisk, although I used a plus here)
        - A hyphen was used here. Doesn't make any difference.

Lists within quotes

Start the quote normally with a >. Then press enter, add another > to make sure your list is included in the quote, and start your list like you normally would:

A line of text here

• List
      • Sub-list (4 spaces before the asterisk, one after).
    > A line of text here
    > * List
    >    * Sub-list (4 spaces before the asterisk, one after).

That's all from me so far! I hope this was helpful to some of you! If there's anything you'd like to learn that I haven't mentioned here, please bring it up in your comments. Also feel free to add links to other Markdown tutorials you find helpful.

//EDIT: I wrote this tutorial at night when I was tired and I've been finding several typos and thought errors here and there. They should now all be fixed.

Looks like your connection to EQUUS | Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.