The Master Breed List

• Administrators

Master Breed List

How to use this list:

• Find your breed
    • If your breed has multiple strains, check for the specific strain you are interested in
    • Colors that appear on the list are allowed for your breed
    • Colors under "of which rare" are rare for your breed
    • Extra details on color restrictions may be in the standard notes section
    • Breeds your breed can be crossed with to produce purebreds of your chosen breed are also listed under "permitted outcrosses"

THIS LIST IS NOT COMPLETE

THIS LIST IS NOT FINAL

Q&A - Please Check for your question here before asking anything!

• I have Mr Snoodle registered as a Knabstrupper (Sporthorse) but he is palomino, which is not a permitted color for the breed. Do I have to re-register him as another breed?
      Horses that are already breed registered will not need to be re-registered regardless of whether they meet the requirements outlined on this sheet. However, I would urge you to try and switch them to a more appropriate breed if possible. If in doubt, look at the International Sporthorse and Grade options
    • Snoodledums was never registered with a Breed Association because she was pending approval as a rare overo sabino champagne spotted tabby Thoroughbred but she was registered and competed successfully with the ESES. Do I have to re-register her?
      Yes.
    • Darth Vader is my prized Shetland pony stud and he is a pink spotted badger. I have definitely seen many pink spotted badger Shetland ponies. How do I get the list changed?
      Firstly, check no one has already requested the same alteration. Then start a new thread on the registration and committee board with the title [pink spotted badger Shetlands].
      • If you believe that a breed can be a certain color that is not already permitted, you will need to show that it actually exists in the real life breed
      • There should be horses of this color registered in the main book/registry for the breed that the BC uses as a guideline. Beware of "alternative" registries where a horse may be called a certain breed but not have actually qualified for the studbook (especially Warmbloods)
      • The POSSIBILITY of that color/pattern coming to exist in the breed due to theoretically permitted outcrossing is not adequate
      • However if a modifier is already in the gene pool (for instance there are palominos), you can assume that related colors are also present (e.g. buckskin, cremello).
      • In some cases real life breeds limit these colors arbitrarily (e.g. the British Warmblood permits palomino but not cremello). In cases where the breed has a fully closed studbook (e.g. Friesian as opposed to most WB breeds), this may be overlooked and the arbitrarily prohibited color permitted on Equus.
      • Registries that state “all colors allowed” are not evidence for all colors actually existing
      • Remember that real life registries/owners/breeders do not always use accurate terminology and should not be assumed to be accurate. For instance "albino" is a popular term for certain Andalusian colors.
      • If the breed you are posting about is a very numerous breed like the Arab, TB, AQH or APH, it is unlikely that you will be able to change the rarity of a color unless it's easy to find many, many examples with a simple google search. If you are having to dig through photos to find examples, it is probably confirmation that the color is rare. Some of the most popular breeds number in the millions and even taking into account that only a fraction will find their way onto the internet, you should be able to find non-rare colors very easily.
      • I urge other members to contribute to the search. But please ONLY post evidence/argument for or against. Random chatter and/or personal opinions will simply slow the process down.
      • Once your request has been assessed, the thread will be locked and "Approved" or "Denied" indicated. This is final in the absence of further evidence.
    • I breed Straight Egyptian Arabians. SEAs are on the list but not on the main site. Panic!
      Many strains that will be relevant on 3.0 have not been added yet. For the time being, just register your horse as the "parent" breed (in this case Arabian). You will need to state the strain on registration in the percent lineage section.
    • Do I need to calculate percentage ancestry for my Warmblood?
      No. If you have a Knabstrupper x Knabstrupper with TB ancestry a few generations back, you don’t need to say so. Percentage blood is relevant when the breed has a specific blood requirement such as in first generation crosses or breeds created through crossing (like the Quarab, Azteca, Drum Horse, Warlander, Spanish-Norman, Barock Pinto etc etc).
    • How do I calculate what percentage blood my Pintabian/Azteca/Drum Horse contains to see if it’s eligible for the breed?
      If you are struggling with this, just list the parents, grandparents etc in the box provided for percentage breeding on registration and the registrar will check for you. Or you can DM me on Slack. We will not be very strict on this if your horse is multi-generation to make life easier for everyone.
    • I have a Paso Fino. It's just a Paso Fino... Why are there so many Paso Finos???
      When in doubt, the American strain is typically the most mixed and lenient for any breed. If in doubt still, ask me or another member of the Breed Committee. I am usually available on Slack
    • My favourite breed/strain is not on the list. Can it be added?
      Yes.
      To get a new breed added, start a thread titled [New Breed: Breed Name]
      • Must be a real life breed with some kind of registry
      • Must not already be covered by an existing breed on Equus unless you can demonstrate the distinction between them and the value of adding the new one
      • Must have some distinguishing characteristics
      • Strains can also be proposed in this way but will most likely be limited to 3.0 additions (no harm in making the suggestions though)
    • My perlino dun is a mix of AQH, Thoroughbred, Danish WB, Percheron, Caspian and Criollo. Will it qualify as an International Sporthorse?
      As long as it has a "sporty" build (i.e. somewhat Warmblood-like), yes.
    • My horse is a dappled bay. Is that rare for x breed?
      As long as the breed allows the specific color and there are no extra standard notes, dappled versions are treated the same. This goes for dapple grey, fleabitten grey and other greying stages as well.
    • What is meant by medium sabino/minimal splash/high white etc?
      Look in the second tab.
    • This breed says it allows appaloosa. Is snowflake allowed?
      Yes. ALL appaloosa patterns are allowed. If there are exceptions, they will be in the standard notes.
    • How long will breed changes take?
      Unfortunately, while I can approve them, actually making the changes requires direct access to the database at the moment and as a result breed changes may take some time. Please be patient with us and we will do the best we can.
    • I want my International Sporthorse to be Champagne Overo but none of the Warmbloods I like seem to have this color or it is listed as rare. If I list one of my horse's parents as an APH, can I avoid the rare color fee on my International Sporthorse? How will this affect my breed level cap?
      Yes, you can - you won't have to pay the fee. However, the breed level cap will reflect the ancestry you've given your horse.
    • When will registration begin?
      It's ready to go right now. However, I think it's worth giving you all a day or two to look at what's here and see what you make of it so that any changes to the list don't negatively affect anyone.
    • PERCHERONS ARE BLANK
      Many breeds - but primarily the drafts - are blank or incomplete. Don't worry, adding them will be ongoing. If you have a breed you would like me to prioritise, please DM me... I am happy to comply - and maybe you can help :)
    • What about breed level caps?
      There will be a separate post about that.

If you have any further questions, please contact @Morgan-Cameron (preferably by DM on Slack) and if your question hasn't already been answered, I will add it to the list.

Looks like your connection to EQUUS | Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.