[Winners Announced] Western Club Spring Freestyle

• RRC Rangos Little Revenge
    APH Stallion
    Ridden by Nicolaus Cordalis
    Barrel Racing
    alt text

• PR Committee

Clayton L
    Oldenburg gelding, hopefully showcasing 'cutting', performing...chasing after ponies
    Ridden by Dasha Patterson

alt text

"What on earth are you wearing?"
    "Shut up, Scotty"
    "No seriously, that are those things? You'll blind the horses in those things."
    "Shut up, Scotty."
    "I mean where did you even get cowboy boots in this country?"
    Dasha lived to be different; from her flowing locks of pink and sky blue hair to her dark bronze skin and different contact colours every day. Nothing about her could be assumed normal or typical. She loved to be the centre of attention and was the daredevil of the farm. The most normal thing about her was her unassuming bay Warmblood gelding affectionately known as Moose. He was as placid as she was headstrong but they were a solid pairing.
    "Shut up..."
    The storage room door swung open and a rather breathless Alma stood panting in the doorway, with England's finest rain and mud splattered across her otherwise spotless breeches.
    "Does anyone know why the ponies are charging through the exercise field?"
    "Oh good" Dasha picked up the tan western hat resting on the rickety old chair and balanced it over her hair. "Time to catch them now!"

alt text

• PR Committee

Honeybrook Stormvielle
    Arabian, hopefully showcasing 'mountain trial', performing climbing down a hill into the stream
    Ridden by Clementine O’Sullivan

alt text

• MD Cósmico
    Campolina stallion
    Ridden by Caleb James
    Western Trail • Walk over poles

MD Cósmico

• TY Gypsy Spirit
    Mustang Mare
    Ridden by Kody Sanders
    Freestyle Reining Listen

alt text

It's just a small show, hardly any audiance, no loud sounds, barely any ruckus. Exactly what this little mustang mare needed. Especially being back on her home range. Gypsy's owner returned her to us after times became ruff in he horse industry. She was originally on my grandfathers farm Tybar Ranch, she still bore his brand but she was skittish but wild in the eyes. When we unloaded her at the ranch her whinny range through the moutian range searching for any of her old herd mates. I walked her around the show ground for awhile, she nuzzled noses with some other horses shied at the food stands popping popcorn. We waited our turn

"See Gypsy, nothing to be worried about. Its pretty quite, you know the music to the routine too and it will be the same volume too"

Kyle talked softly to the little mustang who kept her ears perked toward his voice as she looked around, a slight quiver rushing over her as the announcers voice took over the music from the last pair in the arena. As the woman over the PA said the mares name, she whinnied again and that was when they road into the arena to do their dance.

• UD Suddenly Sterling
    Arabian Mare
    Ridden by Sasha Sanders
    Western Pleasure
    Listen

alt text

It was a lost argument, I had tried for the last few weeks to tell Sasha to back off and out of the show with Sterling. Mostly because the mare had been out of work for a couple of months after she got into it with one of our other mares on the pasture. She was frisky and hadn't been in the show ring. Especially since we moved back to Wyoming with the ranch. But...Sasha being Sasha she planted her feet crossed her arms and flat told me it wasn't up for debate she would be riding her big arabian mare in the show no matter what my opinion on it was

"What's that saying Sasha? Hell hath no fury like an angry mare?"

It's all I could chuckle as she led Sterling from the trailer, tacked her up and went right into the arena in line with the other arabians competing that day. I shook my head, had it been anyone other then Sasha on that horses back, they would of been eating dirt for months.

• SCS Command Me Later
    Quarter Horse Mare
    Ridden by Emery Williams
    Rounding final barrel
    Listen

alt text

She's new, but she says she's experienced...supposedly. She's on my new horse....my new chunky...expensive....well trained...new mare. She can ride right? She's from another well reputationed stable. She must be good. I had yet to see this woman ride, but my cousin Dallas sent her our way after she realized Emery was better at Western riding and stocky horse handling then she was with the warmbloods at Galileo Stud. But...I'd never personally seen her ride and my wife made the choice and being the compliant husband I am..I agreed. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it.

"Warm that mare up before you ever touch that arena or even sniff a barrel with her, we paid good money for color but her training and everything else was pricy as well. She's one of the queens of this ranch. Don't mess up. My wife and cousin might be good friends and give you the bennifet of the doubt, but on my ranch it's all about proving your worth and earning your keep"

I sounded harsh, but my horses were my babies. A rider is an extension of the horse, should the rider fail the horse will fail. I watched Emery give a nervous nod at my words before she went and warmed Misses up. I jumped when the announcement came on for Misses to show her stuff, I stood at the side of the arena and watched...and waited.....

• HMR Heza Dusted Bar
    Paint Horse Stallion
    Ridden by Kayla Welsh
    Freestyle - Saddle-less Reining
    Listen

alt text

Dusty was a horse you could but any rider on and he would do a show on his own. Thats why when Kayla, my oldest daughter, came to me with an idea for the show I told her to go for it. So long as she did plenty of work before hand with him to get used to said idea. She wanted to do the freestyle event, with no saddle. She had me listen to the music, had me review her course, and had me spot her during her training. Its a father daughter thing we always have done. She couldn't of picked a better horse, from the bloodline of the famous Buck and our smart little Amgia, he was by far the best choice. If you slipped even the slightest he would stop and move whichever direction to try to keep his rider on or just stop and let you fall without his big ol' hooves stepping on you.

"You sure you're ready to try him out in a night freestyle?" I was sure she heard the concern tone I was trying to mask, we had run the pattern only during the day...at dusk. "

"Yes dad, we'll be fine. You said so yourself, Dusty wouldn't let anything bad happen to me and I could run this on him with my eyes closed and hands tied behind my back and not miss a beat. He's a bombs proof horse. Quit worrying, I'm not Kory." She had that right, her younger brother took unnecessary risks when it came to shows and his riding style. Where-as she trained over and over until she could do a pattern blind-folded. The announcer called her and dusty up next and "House party" began to play over the louder speakers. I took my place at the side of the arena to watch and see how they did.

• RWH Runaway Ruby
    Appaloosa Mare
    Ridden by Kory Sanders
    Western Pleasure
    Listen

alt text

Defiant that is the only way to describe my son. He had mentioned nothing to myself or anyone for that matter that he was taking Ruby into that Western Pleasure ring. He knows NOTHING about the sport. Figured if mom and his sister can do it...he can?! Idiot. Ruby isn't even a pleasure mare, she's a western trail and trail horse. It had been an argument day and night over everything after his sister did her bareback reining event. If it wasn't about letting him ride our young stallions it was about what he did and didn't know what to do with a horse or in a show.

"I swear you favor her over me! Just because she trains longer then I do doesn't mean she's smarter. I don't see her here constantly, no she goes off to where-ever I don't care if its work or college. I have to do homework and tend to the stalls and horses. It's bulls..." Apparently the look on my face made him shut his trap before he cussed at me.

"I don't favor either of you when it's rodeo season. It's not about you or her, it's about the name of the ranch and showing the quality of the horses. Getting THEIR names out there and the amount of points up so someday they can breed and offspring will earn. Go ahead, try Ruby out then. If she listens and does anything Western Pleasure I'll be surprised."

All I could do was watch as Kory tacked Ruby up in the fancy gear of western pleasure and chuckle at the look on her face. Sure she's smart, but she needs a smart rider on her back to actually do well. He had no pleasure clothing so wore what he would if he was reining. That's okay I guess. I watched as they moved into the arena, she did okay at her extended jog that was normal movement for her between poles. Maybe...just maybe..the kid had been right.

• OCS Color Me Fancy
    Paint Horse stallion
    Ridden by Caleb James
    Western Pleasure • Extended Jog
    And bonus portrait after the show

OCS Color Me Fancy

OCS Color Me Fancy

• CSR Sun O'Lena
    Paint Horse mare
    Ridden by Jade Lacel
    Barrel Racing • Rounding the last barrel
    And bonus portrait after the show

CSR Sun O'Lena

• RLA Octavia
    Arabian Mare
    Ridden by Kory Sanders
    Approach sliding stop - freestyle reining
    Listen

alt text

Dad was out of town, my sister was busy training her little colt to his halter, mom was off with her friends in LA for the weekend. And I...was bored. So I hooked the trailer up to the old chevy pick up my dad left for me to go to and from town in and headed on down to the small local rodeo with our little arabian Tavi. She was a sweet little mare, who did everything she was asked. Wouldn't harm a thing, unless its a pesky fly. Its why dad always said if I'm bored and want to go show to take her.

"Ready girl? Just for fun today okay?" I pat Tavis neck as we were called into the arena. I gave her her head and she took off down the length of the area preparing for a sliding stop. She moved flawlessly and it was like flying. Her hooves moved to the beat of the music and her ears perked back listening.

• Administrators

DBR Scotch Trade
    Arabian Mare
    Ridden by Marsha Crocker
    Slow, Small Circle - Reining

alt text

• Administrators

HMR Leviathan
    American Quarter Horse Stallion
    Ridden by Alex Parson
    Sliding Stop - Reining

alt text

• WDC Lost Without You
    Baluchi stallion
    Ridden by Jade Lacel
    Western Dressage • Lead Change in working lope before joining the "track/trail" (not sure of the english word ?)

WD1

• RW* Haastia
    Baluchi mare
    Ridden by Jade Lacel
    Western Dressage • Working walk on the diagonal

WD1

• Administrators

QMR Door Buster
    American Quarter Horse Stallion
    Ridden by Han Soo-jin
    Reinback - Reining

alt text

• RAHS Jailer's Custom Nic
    American Paint Horse Stallion
    Ridden by Kory Sanders
    Barrel Racing - Listen

alt text

"Jailer has been out of the show ring for almost a year! He shouldn't be the one taking him in there!" Apparently I hit a nerve with my sister when dad gave me permission to take Jailer into the barrels event at the local rodeo. I was laughing the entire time she was throwing a fit, mostly because she was the one whom had been getting him show ready for the last few months and rebuilding him after a poor trainer did him wrong.

"You have a western pleasure event at the same time Jailer is set to run his. Kody isn't going to wreck a horse that could run a barrel pattern blind folded. So just cut it out." Dad had finally had enough and you could hear it in his voice. So could my sister because she stormed off to go get her horse ready for her event. Then he turned to me..."

"Give him his head, point him towards his first barrel and let him go. He's got this you're just along for the ride." Jailer snorted and flicked his tail. I nodded and led he big black stud toward the arena to wait for our turn.

• CK Prince Gotta Whiz
    AQH Stallion
    Ridden by Alexa Morgan
    Western Pleasure

alt text

Dad is gonna be pissed, my sister bailed on riding Prince in the western pleasure event. Instead she stood watching me do the barrel event. So Alexa, my sisters best friend took over the task of riding the little quarter horse. He's well trained, we have used him for little kids to ride in walk trot events at fun days. No big deal for Alexa who is still learning to hop on and do the show. But still....despite her moving him through the motions and him responding flawlessly....she wasn't who dad wanted on Prince. I think they did well, hopefully the judges felt the same way.

• MSE Rome's Spookin' Devil
    APH Stallion
    Ridden by Alexa Morgan
    Freestyle Reining - Listen

alt text

I snuck the drone...dad told me to leave it at home but...being myself I didn't listen. My sisters best friend, also my crush, asked me to ride my horse Spook. I said sure why not and decided to try out the brand new camera I hooked up to it. It was AWESOME!!! While she was doing her spin to the music I captured the shot and it caught a ghost image of Spook mid step and then the final image clear as day to show the spin. Was pretty cool. Even dad said something after he was done being mad about how that photo needed to be mounted above his desk in the office. But yet he said it was a bad idea and might spook the horses. HA! Little did he know my big Spook doesn't spook at nothin'.

Looks like your connection to EQUUS | Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.