Varieur Estates - A new beginning 7/20

• alt text

•About Us

Hello and welcome to our home! My name is Monique Varieur and we are pleased to have you visiting us. VE is a small establishment situated just outside the lovely Castellón de la Plana in Spain. We are dedicated to the sport of Dressage with the occasional Show Jumper or Eventer. Breed wise we are baroque breed focused as a primary with very few secondary, however you might see a stock horse or several warmbloods calling this their home simply because we fell in love at firs sight. While we are small we are mighty in our training and quality of life for our horses. No horse goes a day without attention, a month without a vet clearing it's health, a hoof check, and over all the conditions of our stables are kept tip top. The horses are the royalty of our home. So please! Take some time, visit the stables and pastures sample some of the fine grapes we ourselves pride to raise along with the other fine foods! There is a small restaurant on the guest house property with new samples daily! Want to go for a ride around the area? By all means ask one of the hands to saddle a lesson horse and enjoy! Tired from your journey? The guest house is open to anyone needing a place to rest their head and an attached stable to allow your personal horses some rest and relaxation as well!

•The Team

Monique Varieur Joan Bradford Tara Smith Danny Wright
    alt text alt text alt text alt text
    Owner/Manager Dressage Trainer/Rider Eventing Trainer/Rider Show Jumping Trainer/Rider
    Kia Johnson Alex Moore David Varieur Dakota Snow
    alt text alt text alt text alt text
    Show Jumping Trainer/Rider Dressage Trainer/Rider Eventing Trainer/Rider General Handler/Rider

• alt text

•Mares

Varieur's Solana OL Carinosa II CHEC Ethereal Blue
    alt text alt text alt text
    PRE PRE KWPN

•Stallions

Varieur's Susurro OL Vilano II Varieur's Don Calypso
    PRE PRE KWPN
    CHEC Entertainer TBA TBA
    KWPN TBA TBA

• alt text

•Mares

Varieur's Freya CHEC Ethereal Blue CHEC Lady Lux
    KWPN KWPN Hanoverian

•Stallions

CHEC Entertainer CHEC Commando TBA
    KWPN Spanish Warmblood TBA

• alt text

•Mares

Varieur's Josephine TBA TBA
    Spanish Warmblood TBA TBA

•Stallions

Varieur's Don Calypso CHEC Commando WPW Rubicon
    KWPN Spanish Warmblood Crabbet Arabian
    CHEC Popeye TBA TBA
    KWPN TBA TBA

• alt text

•Mares

TBA TBA TBA
    TBA TBA TBA

•Stallions

WPW Rubicon TBA TBA
    Crabbet Arabian TBA TBA

• •Table Of Contents

Type Of Entry Link
    Cavallo Rosso Eventing Link
    A Few Random Faces Link
    Cavallo Rosso Eventing Pt 2 Link
    Cavallo Rosso Eventing Pt 3 Link
    A Simple Spring Day Link
    The Great Grade Challange Link
    New Beginnings Link

•Announcements

Type Link
    None Link

•Open Breedings

Horse Link
    Currently Closed Link

•Sales

Horse Link
    Currently Closed Link

• alt text

•Cavallo Rosso Eventing Entries Pt. 1

Name: Monique Varieur
    Ridersname: Monique Varieur
    Horsename: Varieur's Josephine
    Class: Flying One N

"Is Jose ready to go yet?!" I yelled across the yard to the driver of my van. He insisted on loading horses into the trailer himself to ensure they were tied in properly and safely. I heard him chuckle followed by hoofbeats. Nope there she is. We were having to take two trips, one with Jose and one with Don simply to make sure Don didn't get over excited having a mare that close to him in a trailer.
    "She's as antsy as you are Moni. Like rider like horse I guess. Don is calm and cool." Danny had no idea how excited I was to finally get to show Jose. We have been training for 4 years now to get her show ready. From long hacks to random horns honking along a trail to make her sound and bomb proof and ready for anything. I patted miss Jose on the rump as she went passed but also double and triple checked her shipping boots and blanket. She flattend her ears in mock anger as her tail and eyes were relaxed while I fussed with the strap under her tail.

Four Hours Later

I hate long drives, an hour and I'm ready to rant and complain about every little bump or divet in the road. Danny was used to it though and would laugh everytime I sighed or huffed or pouted. I squeed with joy when I saw the small show ground dead ahead and got my boots on ready to go get registered. Before the truck fully stopped I leaped outta the cab and was gone, registered, and waiting in 15 minutes. I was the only one that could get Jose tacked, which was done right but quickly as well. It was still early but we were he first into the jumping portion of the event, thankfully. It was still pretty dead this early as a lot fo the bigger names would arrive later in the day.

The announcer said our name, stable and number and Danny helped me onto Jose. I saw him grab the camera and follow at our side. I was happy he had decided to bring it because it meant our first ever show would be captured at least once on film. Hopefully it wasn't a refusal or a spill he decided to photograph! Nope, to my joy he caught us going over the final jump in our class, and I have to say to me...it looked pretty much flawless. Hopefully the judges thought so as well!

alt text

Class: Undergrowth Under N

It was finally time for the cross country event, Jose was rested and even her nerves were on end. Jose was already ready for anything, she seemed to know and get excited when she saw the saddle it was time for work. Our weekly hacks always involved leaps and bounds, twists and turns. What they lacked in is what this course had involved...the beach. Now this big mare might be bomb proof, goose proof, and kitten proof, but with the ocean 4 hours away I had never thought of training her at the actual course....oops. She could do his, she did fine in the parade where the fire trucks had archs of water being sprayed. She did even better down by the duck pond. Couldn't be much worse then that....right?

Race Time

The buzzer rang and Jose lept forward, she had the speed and grace to get through the course without any issues. I had settled the butterflies in my stomach and was all business as we went through the course that wound through the woods that boarded the ocean. I could smell the sea and feel the cool misty breeze on my face the closer we got to that final turn. Being the last rider of the day meant we had to be at the top of our game. I felt the change in Jose's steps as the ground went from packed dirt and grass to sand. Thought it was packed down from previous riders it was still new to the big palomino mare. She was doing well, a small falter in her step as she adjusted to it. Which made my nerves relax again..

The final jump

There it was, the spring weather had caused the wild flowers to start to bloom and the light rain we had the nightbefore made the sand glitter when the light hit it just right. The jump was right ahead, the crowed lined the beach watching us approach and Jose flicked her ears towards me, the jump, and them several times before I felt her fall into that slightly faster pace she gets when she's waiting for me to give her her head so she can do her thing over the jump. Now, normally I don't close my eyes over a jump...but with the footing on the other side being one we have never trained on. I closed my eyes, gave Jose her head, and we soared right on over and into her perfect after jump gallop....we had made it. I could see the finish line ahead and continued forward as though I had never been worried at all...Jose had this all under control and could do anything I put in her path...

alt text

• alt text

•Some Introductions Pt. 1

CHEC Popeye, whom has lived up to what his breeder told us! David went out to get photos of some of the new loves and well...this is what he was greeted with when he went into Pop's private paddock! The Raccoon was fine...it was David whom Pop had an issue with. Pop and the Raccoon were just standing around minding their own business like it was a free world. David got charged and snapped at, the pocket of his pants is missing which means I will be stuck suing it back on.

alt text

Next on the introduction list is WPW Rubicon a lovely Arabian stallion we won in a raffle! Now this baby is my new personal horse for Endurance. Meaning, a new sport will be joining our ranks soon. He's lively when out on the paddock but a lover when he's in the arena or stable. He loves sugar cubes and carrots. So far he wont let any other riders or trainers near him so it looks like the job is up to me.

alt text

CHEC Lady Lux....where do I start. She's the mother of demons in our stable. She's bit four handlers, 2 riders, 3 trainers...great right? Not. She's wonderful when Kia is around but the 17 year old has school during the day and well can't exactly take Lady with her! Onec Kia is around we have a sweet innocent little mare on our hands..unless another horse or animal or anything really is around. She's done well so far in her training and will soon be set to compete. We built a private paddock and small stable by the dorm where Kia stays on the farm and it's working well...except one of the barn cats now has a docked tail and isn't very happy with anyone.

alt text

alt text

Sola came to the Estate an angry mare with trust for no man or woman that tried to come near her her previous owners were the type that bought a pretty pony for a spoiled little girl who knew nothing of horses or how to treat them. From a harsh bit that tore her mouth...to spurs that bruised and ripped her sides..she was not going to let anyone close. She was 4 years old when Monique got her hands on her, it took many tries and months to get Sola to trust Monique but in the end...the mare is now glued to her hip! She has done well in her dressage training and has become the sweetest animal at the Estate. We hope she will continue her promising future with us and do us well when she finally takes that first pride filled step into the Dressage Arena!

• alt text

•CAVALLO ROSSO EVENTING ENTRIES PT. 2

Class: Dancers N

I'm not normally a dressage rider, I like to do jumps and cross country but when it comes down to my baby Jose no one else rides her. So it was up to me to land a decent performance. Thankfully I wasn't that nervous, a bit annoyed with how cloudy and rainy it was. Mostly because I wasn't a fan of indoor arenas I like the fresh air and sounds don't echo off the walls let alone annoying lights that blind you and your horse. Jose was a speed mare, she liked cross country above all else because i was normal footing and long distance, I swear she thinks shes a race horse. So getting and keeping her collected during the dressage phase is a chore in itself. But that's okay..today she was doing very well.

I beamed with pride as we moved through her patterns and motions. She wasn't putting up a fuss, no irriated bit chewing and no I'm annoyed tail flicks! That was a first for my little Jose, normally I couldn't have a moment of not feeling her teeth grinding against the cool metal of her sweet-iron bit. It wasn't a long performance, I picked a slightly shorter music routine matched with a more complex yet sorter movement pattern to match, maybe that's why Jose isn't as bored with it...it's not a simple pattern but complicated. Silly mare, all I could do was hope we did well seeing as my horse and I didn't like this phase much.

alt text

• Ahah, a good pose! Beautiful coat :smile:

• @Darya-Macarova said in Varieur Estates - Cavallo Rosso Eventing:

Ahah, a good pose! Beautiful coat :smile:

Thank you :3
    Its a custom pose my husband gave me permission to use ^-^ it suits her well :D

• "Are you ready for this boy?"

As though he understood Joan Don nuzzled her cheek and swished his tail before looking around the big arena. Joan and Don had come to us when she was suspended from her private school in the states, she was my cousin. Her mother said it was the last choice before she ended up in jail, I said sure why not. Though what I didn't know was Joan was coming with her big Dutch Warmblood Stallion Don. Apparently she used to just ride him out on hacks or escape her mothers home late at night on the big stallion, not going to fly here. See, my horses might be treated like royals but they had to earn their keep and this big boy would be no exception.
    *"If you want to keep him you will both train, show, do chores, and work your rear ends off or I'm shipping you both home to your mother and she will do as she pleases" I never expected them to make a grand eventing team, Joan trained daily so long as homework was finished. Don accepted the training and seemd to enjoy it more then anythign when he was working. It had been a long year coming but I finally felt the two were ready for their first 3 Day Event...the Cavallo Rosso 3 Day Event had arrived in Spain a week ago. We had one horse already par taking and as Joan was acing all her school work I said she could take part.

Day One

Ridersname: Joan Bradford
    Horsename: Varieur's Don Calypso
    Class: Dancers N

The first day of the event was the dressage show, Joan was an expert at it by now even if Don had his ears set out lazily and seemed bored by it as though it was to easy for the big boy. Which was fine! He learned and performed it as though it was just another day at work and like he had been born to do it. He responded well to Joan during the show, even when a toddler decided to run down the bleachers and along the side of the arena right by his face screaming and waving some loud annoying toy...he didn't flater or even pay any attention to the tiny screaming human, well minus an irritated swish of his tail to show he was annoyed by it. *"Me too boy" said Joan in a whisper to her horse.
    Joan had kept her patterns and music choice hidden to me, which I wasn't happy about but whatever it was an experiance for them both. It was a soft classical melody that dawned the speakers and her pattern was simple enough that it could be seem as complex to one that didn't know the sport very well or to a judge...made to seem like they had been in training far longer then the mear year that it was. For a troubled teen and a kill pen bought stallion....they were a match in the arena that I couldn't help but feel my feathers ruffle in pride over.

alt text

Day Two

Class: Flying One N

The next morning started off rather interesting. Don apparently had decided to get out of his stall, wander from RV to RV until he finally found ours and was out front grazing on the lush spring grass. My phone began blaring at 5AM when Danny had gone to start his morning routine with the show horses we had brought with us and paniced because Mr.Clever wasn't in his stall. This then caused me to panic and Joan to panic and we ran outside without boots and in our PJ's to begin searching for our missing horse. Didn't take long because I was greeted by the tail end of a big bay as soon as I ran out the front door of my RV and ended up falling right on my rear.

"Don....I swear your mother is a goat and your father a donkey..." I didnt yell the words, I growled them through gritted teeth. Joan was doubled over laughing to the point her face was turning purple and I was sitting in the wet grass staring at a stallions butt before he turned around and tried to chew my hair with already grass soiled horse slobber. *"Joan go get dressed and get him ready, if he thinks he's all big and bad and ready to be out of the comfort of his stall he can go get warmed up for the show jumping event today. You're one of the first riders." Joan groaned but did as she was told, but before she left she made a pot of coffee and a mug for us both.
    Couple hours later and I was standing on the side lines watching Joan make her way through the course on a horse that acted like every jump was a stick that he could step over, I couldn't help but rub my temples and face palm as he made it over every jump in a graceful yet lazy manner. Guess it was time to raise the bars at home and give him something challanging to go over. They did well other then his I'm to big for this, your a stick and your a stick oh look a twig I can step over attitude. Hopefully I was the only one that was catching onto that studs lazy attitude and the judges didn't notice.

alt text

Day Three

Class: Undergrowth Hunters N

"Well boy, its the final day. And your fave part....cross country!" Joan squealed excitedly and Don nickered in agreement. He followed Joan as she came over to me in order to go over the course for the millionth time just to make sure she knew what to expect especially with Don. Don had this bad habit when we were training to get the bit between his teeth and go rogue. Last time we did a practice run he jumped 4 logs, 2 cats, a kiak, and a goose which chased his tail for a quarter of a mile. Hopefully today went smooth as butter and we didn't anger any geese or cats..
    "He should do better today, there's a crowed that is normally along the sidelines unlike when we do mock runs by ourselves when its quiet." She had a point...he knew the difference between trial runs and the real deal. Smart horse....I just hope he kept his brain in his head instead of on the bit. The rider before us was approaching the second to last jump so we got Don saddles, Joan dressed, and off to the starting line we went.
    Don pranced and chomped the bit the closer we got to the line. He half reared but Joan quickly corrected him. It wasn't to much longer and the buzzer rang out. Joan and Don lept forward, I covered my face for a moment because Don had the bloody bit between his teeth already, so long as Joan could correct it now there shouldn't be any issues...
    I took Jose down along the course at a trot watching as I could, Joan had a good hold on Don now and was the one in Charge, he made his way through the course flawlessly. He even avoided the pond full of ducks! I went on ahead to the end of the course to wait, while Danny followed behind with the camera and four wheeler to get a few snaps for the wall at home. Hopefully Don and Joan placed well in this show and could continue to improve!

alt text

• I loooove your entries omg ♥

• @Hediwg-Johnson
    Thank you :)

• About Me:

alt text

Brittany Kayla Melissa Swift
    29 Years Old
    Labor and delivery nurse
    Mommy of 2 little girls
    Riding style English
    Love Reading
    Enjoy Painting
    Hate Photos
    I am 5'4
    I have 3 horses 2 dogs, 3 cats

• ♦ A simple Spring Day

alt text

I have had this little mare from the moment her feet hit the ground, it was a beautiful spring night, about 2 in the morning. She was her dams first foal so I was ensuring everything went smooth from outside of the stall. I rarely got involved when horses were birthing. But that night was the one time I had to call for the vet who lived a house up from our property, we worked for several hours on J's dam...sadly by the end of the night I was holding a bottle of foal formula and my husband was locating his bobcat to dig a grave at the back end of the property by the vineyard. I was devastated as was my husband . There was a silence over the barn that day, even the orphaned foal was quite despite her soft suckling sounds when I was giving her a bottle.

Over the next several weeks, I slept in the fillies stall. I worked with her, trained her from a young age, even brought her into our house when it was super cold. Which made my husband chuckle but that was just me....a soft hearted female in his terms. As she grew I called her filly, until I finally found a name that suited her....Josephine. She and I bonded until she was old enough to fend for herself on the pasture with the other horses, but still she greeted me everytime I walked by her pasture, was the first to stick her head out the stall door in the mornings, and the first horse I trained myself for show. Even if she is not competing she goes with us, as we found out she will whinny and either jump apaddock fence or try to bust a stall down when she hasn't seen me or if I am gone....

alt text

alt text

alt text

• ♦ Amber and her mount Freya

alt text

Mane and tail credit belongs to Gut Lichtenstein

• Wow Freya is such a good looking horse! SO big!

• I love Josephine's story, sad but so sweet!

• Thank you so much :) I am very proud of my horses and the fact people do like them :D

• ♦ The Great Grade Challange

Horse's Name: Varieur's Prima Donna
    Grade Type: Warmblood
    Coat: Chestnut Roan Splash
    Breed Makeup (Percentages): 50% TB 50% Spanish Warmblood
    Story/Roleplay:

alt text
    Out at pasture Confo
    alt text alt text

A few years ago a stud horse at a near by livery had gotten out of the stable and took off into the mountains, he had been missing for a good year before all this happened. I was fine and swell with this until my beloved Spanish Warmblood fell pregnant out of the blue! My Josie was my pride and my joy and in her prime, she was showing and winning. She was perfection and now I had no idea WHO she had done the 4 hoof tango with but I was not pleased, in fact I was livid and wanted the stud apprehended so this couldn't happen again.

I spoke to the owner of the stud horse that was now nicknamed the Ghost. I was hopeful after hearing the studs pedigree and achievements that the foal would be his. Though a grade in the eyes of many the foal would be something special to us. We waited....and waited....and waited. A fall foal...we were through the summer months and she was finally showing signs of the pregnancy being over...a fall foal really? Fall foals were not my favorites to tend to especially with the winter closely nipping at its heels.

It was sunrise, about 53 degrees outside, and foggy. One of the riders for our team was doing the morning chores when my cell phone started to blow up, of course the night I decided to head to the house to sleep.
    “Hello?” I was tiredly
    “Um, so, that foal you’ve been waiting for Moni? She’s here....” Took me a moment to notice it was Amber calling, must of come in early to get her chores done and go for a hack on her personal little quarter horse.
    “That’s nic...wait...Josie’s foal?!” Before the word foal left my lips I was out of bed and throwing on a pair of shorts and struggling to put my boots on and run at the same time. Her first foal ever and she did so while I was asleep! I was half way across the yard when I realized...I forgot a damn shirt. No time to go back now!

I looked a fool as I walked into the barn in front of my staff, sister, and the barn manager I hired to help out...riding boots, cotton shorts, and my bra...my hair tassled and going crazy...but there she was...a beautiful red...wait...red roan and splash.....Josie wasn’t happy about all the crowding going on outside her stall and had herself between us and the foal ears pinned and randomly snapping at everyone around. I stood up a little straighter and told everyone the chores would need to be finished and that Josie’s area was off limits until the evening so she could calm down and spend time with the foal.

~~ That was 3 years ago~~

Today this little filly is getting her name, a name that will forever define who she is and relate to her in everyway. We don’t name after sire’s and dam’s here at Varieur’s we name based upon the horse. It’s why they are rarely named anything more then something as generic as filly or boy, colt or girl, ect. until they’re matured and shown us who they are at heart. Josie’s name means “God Has Multiplied” which for this mares luck he did...he increased her chances of suriving when she was orphaned as a foal. She has always wanted to be the center of attention, and throws a royal fit should her way not be met or kept. We swapped her grain and she dumped her bucket. Wanted her to move circles around the arena on lunge and she pawed the ground and looked the other way with nose turned in the air...she was above all a Prima Donna....which is how she has earned that to be her name...So today I proudly introduce you to Varieur’s Prima Donna .

What was once a mistake has turned into a lovely little project mare that we have developed high hopes for. She has the quailties of her dam and the spirit of her sire, whom might I add is still wandering around as a "Ghost" in the mountains above our home in the foothills. Maybe someday we will get our hands on the unruley stallion and keep him for our own...or maybe he will remain the legend he has become. No matter what, there is a part of him coursing through Fancy's veins.

Looks like your connection to EQUUS | Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.