Waler - All Caps

• PR Committee

Hi, I notice the Waler is still missing from many discipline considerations... all of them actually.

I posted a list of suitable discplines they excel at here in the original breed request thread, and while the heavy and pony strains appear to have been updated, the ridden strain hasn't got any.

Additionally, the ridden showing cap for all three strains should be revised to 10, as this is one of the primary disciplines they compete in here in Australia.

I'd be more than happy to advise on specific discipline caps as needed.

• Administrators

This breed actually got all it's caps when we added them, but it seems the poor Waler (Riding) strain got accidentally removed from 2.5 in the transfer to Autoreg. Have put them back in, revised their caps to better reflect a riding horse, as well as updated the Pony and Heavy strains with caps of 10 in Ridden Showing. Thanks for catching that!

• PR Committee

Rather than creating a new thread I hope it's okay to reply here? Just noticed few things that might need tweaking:

• Waler riding, heavy and pony are missing endurance consideration, based on the TREC cap I assume this would be around 10?
    • Waler riding and heavy have Pony Eventing listed in addition to regular Eventing

• Administrators

FYI TREC caps every breed at 10 so you may want to look for a different discipline to compare with.

• PR Committee

Regardless, endurance is one of the primary disciplines sited for Walers, so they should have a high cap in it. See also: the original Waler thread I made.

(I assumed that TREC had been put in their in lieu of Endy or was supposed to be based on it)

• Administrators

Riding, Heavy, and Pony Walers have caps in 10, 4 and 3 respectively in Endurance- I'm not sure why their caps aren't showing up on the Endurance leaderboard or in the Discipline Checker Gizmo, but they have them and presumably would show up correctly if a Waler was registered in Endurance. They also have the correct caps in Eventing and Pony Eventing (8 and 7 for Riding and Heavy, and 7 for Pony) - This is probably also weirdness from there not being any registered in either sport, but I'm not sure how the Discipline Checker works so I can't say for certain. They do have functional caps in the database and I'm happy to look up any others you have questions about to check them!
    I would like to see some evidence of the Pony and Heavy strains competing at a higher level in Endurance before raising it- Elsie is correct that TREC isn't a good discipline to compare to as its' caps run very high. Usually when assigning caps in disciplines I look at how similar breeds are capped, and edit accordingly- if I recall correctly I used the Irish Draught (Warmblood) as a base for the Heavy strain's caps, and Quarter Pony for the Pony's. I am unfamiliar with this breed and would be happy to change those if you can find evidence of Heavy and Pony-type Walers competing in Endurance above 40 miles for the Heavy and 60 miles for the Pony.
    Thank you- feel free to keep using this thread or post another if you have more questions/evidence. :D

• PR Committee

Thanks for the update, I could only work off the leaderboards (I know the discipline checker aint always accurate so I only ever use it as a guide).

I think I'd struggle to find evidence of either competing in higher level endurance simply from sheer lack of horses (pony types in particular are really really rare), but I'll keep my eye out on the FB group I'm in in case anything pops up.

Looks like your connection to EQUUS | Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.