I dream of a Graveyard

• Not sure if this would work, but instead of changing anything on the main site, would it be possible to somehow have another database spreadsheet but for horses that are no longer active? Essentially, the deceased horse would be retired from all disciplines and unable to be reregged so that it can't be competed again (so if someone tried to put the horse through autoreg, it would throw up an error similar to what happens if a horse's outcross is impossible). It could be compiled using a google form so that it wouldn't add too much to the staff duties.

I'm not sure if it would sort the breeding problem or not though, since I'm not sure if it would end up functioning retroactively if someone tried to reg a horse from a deceased parent, and it could upset people who have bought breedings from a horse and then gone to reg the offspring only to find that the parent is deceased.

• Competition Committee

I think adding a main site account for deceased horses is less work for staff because if it was done like Puck said, all staff has to do is add a main site account and that is that. But adding another form means someone has to go over them and manually change the horses and it would work similar to how we handle retired horses, the only difference is that when they are deceased they are retired for good. So is it really worth adding more work on staff for a minor detail like that? As for the breeding part, it would need to work retroactively pretty much, otherwise we end up with more issues like you said xD But if it would work, it might be worth it.

However, I think the whole idea behind the deceased account is to keep the main sites clean and not clogged up with horses we don't use xD

EDIT: Altho, for us sheet nerds, maybe it's possible to sort of add your idea to our personal stable manager sheets?

• Truthfully, along side the idea of a "Graveyard" though we have no way of adding new features to the main site unless we get a new one....is if when you"Boarded" a horse toa stable...it actually orgnized your manesite so that it put it into groups under the stables and each player had a "stable" named "Graveyard" or "Retirement Center" and once a player moved the horse there it was still under the owner but not an issue of reclaims.

Idk that all probably made zero sense(since?)

• @Marc-Sanders it does make sense. But you have to pay ~$100.000 for a new stable on the mainsite as far as i know. (?)
    and i'm not sure if EC members would like to spend so much money for a retirement barn they only use to organize their mainsite ūü§Ē
    And not everyone would be able to afford it.

• Also there are a few people with already three stables, so that it isn't even possible always to get a dtable only for that. Also I thought we shouldn't use the boarders feature, since we can't remove them ouerselves and staff also don't do it anymore.

• I was saying it be a standard all EC members have not one that has to be bought. It would be a stable given to everyone to keep things more realistic.

• Administrators

Giving everyone extra stables to be the retirement barn and graveyard would be a lot of work and then boarder issues would become a problem again. That and you landing profile page would be no more sorted or clear than it already is. I'm just not sure if a mane site fix is possible with our current mane site, which will have to stay as is unless someone can donate time+experience or funding to hire someone.

• @Blake-Bellanaris said in I dream of a Graveyard:

Giving everyone extra stables to be the retirement barn and graveyard would be a lot of work and then boarder issues would become a problem again. That and you landing profile page would be no more sorted or clear than it already is. I'm just not sure if a mane site fix is possible with our current mane site, which will have to stay as is unless someone can donate time+experience or funding to hire someone.

That would depending on how the mane site was built, if dreamweaver was used as the main way to build the site that's not a difficult way to work with the site.

• Administrators

We can't make any changes to the mainsite's functionality, and any ideas concerning changing our current mainsite are unfortunately out of the question. The only updates Janelle was able to do to it a few years ago was some cosmetic changes, a 'facelift' if you will. Since Janelle has left Equus, we are even more limited in what we can do with our mainsite.

Again, if this idea were to be implemented in any capacity, it would be a simple new account titled Deceased that members can send horses to with the understanding that those horses are there for good, and cannot be reclaimed except perhaps under extraordinary circumstances, such as you were trying to send a horse to Declan Hoyos and accidentally clicked Deceased Horses, which you would need to prove with a bank note. Breeders, past owners, and anyone else wanting to reclaim the horse outside of those specific circumstances would be unable to.

I can understand that this may make people nervous about selling horses for fear they'd be dumped into a Deceased Account and be unable to be retrieved, but I think this is a symptom of the larger problem Equus has about wanting to keep control over horses they've sold. If you make a decision to sell a horse, you are handing over control of that horse to another person. Full stop. You no longer get to decide what the horse does or where it goes, or if it gets sold on to another person who then stops being active, etc. It's a reality of selling that no matter who that horse gets sold to, it may no longer remain active, and that's a risk we all take whenever we make a decision to give up a horse.

• @Puck-Cantrell said in I dream of a Graveyard:

We can't make any changes to the mainsite's functionality, and any ideas concerning changing our current mainsite are unfortunately out of the question. The only updates Janelle was able to do to it a few years ago was some cosmetic changes, a 'facelift' if you will. Since Janelle has left Equus, we are even more limited in what we can do with our mainsite.

Again, if this idea were to be implemented in any capacity, it would be a simple new account titled Deceased that members can send horses to with the understanding that those horses are there for good, and cannot be reclaimed except perhaps under extraordinary circumstances, such as you were trying to send a horse to Declan Hoyos and accidentally clicked Deceased Horses, which you would need to prove with a bank note. Breeders, past owners, and anyone else wanting to reclaim the horse outside of those specific circumstances would be unable to.

I can understand that this may make people nervous about selling horses for fear they'd be dumped into a Deceased Account and be unable to be retrieved, but I think this is a symptom of the larger problem Equus has about wanting to keep control over horses they've sold. If you make a decision to sell a horse, you are handing over control of that horse to another person. Full stop. You no longer get to decide what the horse does or where it goes, or if it gets sold on to another person who then stops being active, etc. It's a reality of selling that no matter who that horse gets sold to, it may no longer remain active, and that's a risk we all take whenever we make a decision to give up a horse.

Lets do it... Life is a game of risks and this is a game afterall. I say we do it, and that's it.

• Everyone hates when I add my two cents.
    Where I like this idea.. I dont like it.
    I am a quiet breeder. Meaning now and again I let others breed to my horses. Not often but I do. Now and again I open my horses up publicly. Thing is on the very very few SWS horses that I sell or gift if one is culled after the time spent making it. I am going to get a little irritated. Like most I hope I am alerted when the horse comes up for sale so I can have the chance to get it. I have grabbed a few that was going to reclaims before as sales from others. I rarely let my horses leave so this idea frightens me. What if I want the horse back? It is out of my reach and poor staff gets to hear about it.
    Back under my rock I go

• @Puck-Cantrell said in I dream of a Graveyard:

I agree with this so much. I have sold many horses who are now un-active, or barely active. Does it bug me a little? Sure but ultimately its just like real life, when you sell a horse it is no longer yours :shrug: If it happens to be a good sale you might get an owner who sends you updates and keeps you posted, but you might not. That horse is theirs and they can do with it as they please. I think the graveyard is a good idea. :blush:

• @Isabella-Khrazenzia said in I dream of a Graveyard:

@Puck-Cantrell said in I dream of a Graveyard:

I agree with this so much. I have sold many horses who are now un-active, or barely active. Does it bug me a little? Sure but ultimately its just like real life, when you sell a horse it is no longer yours :shrug: If it happens to be a good sale you might get an owner who sends you updates and keeps you posted, but you might not. That horse is theirs and they can do with it as they please. I think the graveyard is a good idea. :blush:

I just.. go with this.
    There is always a risk, that those horses are "lost" but thats the general risk if you sell it. I think I dont need to repeat people here.
    I myself am also always a bit sad and think twice before I sell horses, but I am aware of the risks that I dont have control over anything anymore at the point of selling.

Looks like your connection to EQUUS | Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.