Howell Family Farms - 10/07 The Cross-Over Extravaganza

• alt text <-

Our Past
    North For Ranch hasn't always been the warm welcoming place it is today. For years the ranch sat abandoned, lonely and ghostly looking when passed by along the old dirt road. The ranch had been a horror house for any animal that came through it's front gate, the men who owned it before me were unkind, and that is putting it nicely. They were killers, horses that came to the ranch met a horrid end, either from being starved or over-bred to being sent away to kill houses. Cattle, pigs, dogs and even cats were all treated the same way. When residents of the community got overcome with their emotions towards the men, the state came in and hauled them away...but the ranch sat and went to rot. People claimed the ranch was haunted by the poor souls of the animals these men had tortured, some said if you stepped foot on the property all you could hear is the begging sounds of animals wanting to be rescued. The property was for sale for an ungodly low price of 10,000$ which caught my attention from, despite the warnings from locals and the realtor who said if I wanted it it was mine just don't blame him for any shortcomings or mishaps.
    I'll admit, the 100acres of rolling pastures and wooded areas was a little unnerving, you could feel and smell the death that once called this place home. I didn't let this scare me away though. I saw a chance, a second chance to redeem this lovely properties name, to make it something good and restore it. Which is exactly what I did. My staff and I set out early the first morning after purchase, the old barn we decided to burn down, this included the ground under it. Why burn it you ask? Death and torture happened there, I refused to bring new animals into a barn where they could tell what had happened before, even though it was years ago. Animals knew. The new barn was built between two large trees away from the burn patch where the grew was working to till the burnt ground and rubble away for good growing ground, apple trees sounded like a nice idea. The new barn held 20 stalls, however 5 were seperate from the others as I wanted to turn this place into a rescue, a full turn around from what it was before a horror house. My home was built a few yards from the barn, but where I rest my head isn't important. The staff house was placed where they wanted it, right by the creek, I let my staff choose where they wanted to live on the property.
    While we continue to build, my horses reside on a wide range in Wyoming. They're a few simple horses some paints and appaloosa's with one or two few mustangs. When my wife left, I decided it was time for a change. That and my father had called and told me Dallas, my younger sister, was having troubling times there in New York and it was send her out to me to work on the ranch or end up in juvi. Which I couldn't allow for her, so she was on her way here as well. However, Dallas brought along her own horses. Horses I had no idea how to tend to....warmbloods. We all have to learn something new at times right? Haha.
    I bet you're wondering who I am? I'm Dean, Dean Howell. I grew up on a large cattle ranch in Wyoming and met my wife Kandace. However, that soon fell apart when I came home to her and a good friend of mine doing unmentionable things. This led to divorce and I let her and her hound (yeah, you can say I'm still bitter towards that man) keep the ranch it was falling down anyways. I told them the horses would be gone from the property as soon as North Fork was completed in construction. I'm 28 years old, was the quarter back of my high school team, a bit of a gamer nerd there too. Not really much else to tell you for now.

alt text

Galileu Stud is situated in Chelan, Washington. We are right outside of the small little tourist and about 10 miles from Lake Chelan. The moutnians and rolling hills are to die for! It took me some time to get used to not being near my dad but that's just how things go. We aren't that far, he's in Wyoming and we're in Washington, both start with W close enough right? We have eight barns in total, a fully staffed private vet clinic, 6 different arenas, more pasture land then I can even begin to tell you about, a full fledged eventing course that can be changed at the snap of a finger. Yep, it's Equine Paradise! All horses have a person stafff team some might overlap here and there for one reason or another but that's about it. GS has been around for maybe a year, actively that is, my mother...whom I wont really speak of...let it go to the dogs so to speak. The horses were skin and bones and going feral...the barns were falling apart. It was time for a change, I managed to convince my dad to allow myself and my husband to buy it off him, well we traded two stock horses, a trailer and season ball tickets for it. It's come a long way from a horror-house to a grand thriving lively Equine Paradise. We have a small team of horses but are always expanding and looking into new lines. Stick around for awhile, there's a lot to do a lot to see and plenty of horses begging for treats!!!
    -Dallas Smith

alt text

Bay River Park started only a year ago, we had found a lovely yearling filly at the back pen of an auction. She was covered in mud, skin and bones, and her starting price was only 50$. This came as a shock to us as she had an excellent color under all that mud and legs for miles! When she moved though is when we noticed she was a little clumbsy! Oh well! We fought a kill buyer for her and came out on top at 250$. Red Light District was her registered name...and it stuck. As time has gone by she has grown into a beautiful filly and a very achieved racer. Wehave brought in several other horses and expanded from simple flat racing...to endurance. We are situated right along the river in Washington, just down the road from Galileo Stud.

• Table Of Contents

○ Meet some new faces - 01/09/2017
    ○ Horses & Ponies at play - 01/09/2017

• alt text
    Hello everyone! Dallas of GS here!
    Galileo recently obtained several new faces! Some are from breedings some were imported from other members to add new blood to the stable! A few are older faces that well...have just never been seen! Shall we start with some of the new horses?

alt text
    This lovely stallion comes to us from Kathrine A. of PSS, he is a breeding request between her stallion Pss Alfie and our lovely mare AKS Foxxy Cleopatra! Both sire and dam are proven in the Show Jumping ring and as such as hope that Chance here will do the same. His name suits him well as our first day here he nudged his nose into his riders, Rena Johnson's, pocket and ended up eating all of her Cinnamon Jolly Ranchers. Needless to say she now keeps the flavored candy on her for a treat after any training or ground training they do togehter!

alt text
    This pretty boy came to us from Lidja R. We wanted something drafty...something big at our stable. Not to mention our newest rider, Scarlett Annalise, was used to working with Irish Draughts in her home town. When we hired her she was rather disappointed that we had no ID so we went out in search. We told Lidja to surprise us and she didn't fail! Silver is a tempermental sweetheart, an oxymoron if I do say so myself! Unless its time to brush and get attention he doesn't want to move! He's stubborn and onery! Hopefully we can work this out of him before he begins showing!

alt text
    Ziggy! He's one of our pony team! He will be working with my daughter Abby. We hope to have him into halter shows and possible show jumping as time goes on and Abby gets a little better at riding. He's a welsh highland grade pony and a sweetie. Abby is able to run under his belly, play with his tail, stand on his back and overall do what she wants with him!

alt text
    This is kitty, she's our only spotted warmblood here at GS and acts like she runs the place (Lilly our big ol' lustiano founding mare doesn't like her much). Kitty is a diva, if its muddy she refuses to work, if it involves anything other then a sand arena...she'll try to refuse to work. Of course this behavior isn't tolerated and leads to many many sessions of ground work in these type of arenas just to try to get her out of the habit. Her rider Louise S. Wilson is almost exactly like her and I have come close to firing her on many occassions simply because she wont groom or saddle her mounts without argument!

• Great album so far, love all the photos of your horses! I love the spooky story, was actually interesting to read and I usually get bored so easily ahaha.

• alt text

Dallas again!
    We decided to let some of the horses out to pasture to play and to get random photo's of them not under saddle. The horses being shared in this update are(in order of appearnce):

• AKS The Cats Meow

• RFE Silver Emblem

• Carisma d'Arete VH

• Gate's Tiger Lilly

• Stitch

• Northfield's Primrose

• Ziggy

• AKS Foxxy Cleopatra and offspring Pss Fat Chance Cinnamon

• Galileo's Flight Risk

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

• Competition Committee

Loving the way everything looks so far! I think Flight Risk may have stolen my heart though :heart:

• alt text
    Dalton here, with a small update from Sliding K Ranch. As many know we had a young filly, for those that missed the story you can re-visit it here, that was left at our mailbox on a stormy night. Some time has now passed and she's grown into a gorgeous young mare. As she grew we noticed she was still skittish of loud sounds and didn't much like trailers or even the mailbox, but we believe she will grow out of this fear. She's not very keen on the snow either but will have to bear with it. She is finally named RK Risen From Ashes
    alt text

Speaking of snow, I recently took HMR Hot N' Spicey out for a snow ride. It was the first time I'd backed the little mare and was very pleased with how she was doing in her training. She recently placed first in her very first reining show, making her sire and dam proud and already proving herself in the arena! While I was out Calico came up for attention, though why he wasn't stalled at the moment I'll never know let alone understand how he got out.
    alt text

I had him follow us back to the barn but rather then going back inside like he was supposed to...I caught him once again sneaking out of the stable like the proud stud he was...oh well. He was a good horse and didn't cause trouble ever. My only worry is him getting lost. He's used to the lower stable and pastures. This was his first time being up on the mountian lot and I worried he would find himself in trouble may it be stuck on a ledge or meeting one of the wild mountian horses we've been dealing with!
    alt text

• Calico is gorgeous! :kissing_closed_eyes:

• alt text

Dallas here!
    Recently we have been hard at work getting all the horses out of their month long slumber and lazyness. In doing so we have started up training again and even began showing the new horses the ropes in their areas. We have another new face that we found for sale at an amish auction! A beautiful gypsy vanner mare that we have named, Drama Queen. She got her name simply for the fact...if its not her getting attention she raises a fuss! She has already broken down her stall door, one pasture gate, and six lead-ropes all because she saw a member of staff giving another horse attention. We haven't decided just yet what she will be trained in but we hope she will calm down with her attitude long enough to train easy and show hard! We have put her in a pasture with TLM Mistique, a gypsy vanner mare we purchased some time ago. We will be transitioning Misti over to dressage from team driving.

alt text

• Such pretty gypsies! I have a couple that I will be introducing soon too :) So hard to resist all the pretty floofs

• @Tiffany-Tieman said in Howell Family Farms - Gypsy Vanners:

Such pretty gypsies! I have a couple that I will be introducing soon too :) So hard to resist all the pretty floofs

Thank you,
    Im sticking to these two until they're higher then 2 titles before breeding and bringing more into the stable lol keep them something special at GS ^_^

• Aww my baby Mystique, she looks great. So happy she is doing well :smiley:

• Giant fluffies <3

• alt text

Good morning everyone,
    This morning we have a small update but with spring approaching at Sliding K Ranch my daughter April has decided she wants to work some of the horses, one of which has been left in the barn for some time while recovering from an injury. RAHS Justice is Aprils big Criollo stallion, he competes openly in Reining. When I went down to the arena I snapped a picture of them getting ready for the Reining Challange, hopefully once she's done putting him through his paces and the vet checks him over he will be 100% ready to go!

alt text

• alt text
    Cascabel's Rattlesnake Rein-Off

First up into the arena was our big PRE NF Capricorn, we told the photographer to get him during a circle and we believe the photographer did just what we asked!

alt text

Next up we have our big appaloosa stallion RL Abbadon's Gold Cash, Cash is known for his spins and how easy he makes it look, not to mention how graceful!

alt text

After the show we were untacking Cash and the show grounds photography captured this image, can say that Cash is very photo-genetic.

alt text

• Stunning horses and love the photo of Cash <3

• Breed Committee

Cash is gorgeous :smile:

• Thank you both ^_^
    He hasn't had his photo taken in a longggg time so I'm glad to get him back out and active

• good luck for the entry in the Challenge

• Blind Import Service Results
    alt text
    Reverse Brindle TB Stallion for @Lena-Hetting

alt text
    Chestnut/Bay Chimera APH Stallion for @Freya-Valkyrie

• Out standing. <3

Looks like your connection to EQUUS | Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.