How to find preffrense photo of breeds

• @Samantha-Jadirea Okay, then i might just make my champagne horses of another breed

• @Thea-Radmer If it's a baroque breed you are after, the Azteca can have champagne according to the MBL.

• @Samantha-Jadirea Well, i just wanted the paso bloodline. So, i might just go with lusitano, But thanks ;)

• Maybe someone can help me actually, I saw that the lusitano culd have the False dun modifier. but what is that? IS that just a dun??

• @Samantha-Jadirea all diluted genes come from the iberian breeds. The champagne gene is present in some horses today and there are yeguadas in Spain that are trying to breed the champagne back by tracking the Maluso line in PRE.

• Administrators

@Alba-Moran Champagne is not an Iberian dilute. Champagne is an American gene that is thought to have first mutated in a draft mare named Old Granny who was the foundation for the American Cream Draft breed. Purebred Iberian horses cannot carry this gene since it is American in origin. Paso Creoles can carry it, however, because as you said they are mainly just crossbred horses who have Paso horses in their ancestry. The Pearl dilution IS Iberian in origin, and it is phenotypically very similar to champagne, however they are genetically much different. Champagne is a simple dominant, meaning horses only need one copy to be champagne colored, and nCh and ChCh horses will look the same. Pearl however is a recessive gene, meaning horses must have two copies (prlprl) to show the dilution.

Gold Champagne (one or two copies of champagne on a chestnut base):
    alt text

Chestnut pearl (two copies of pearl on a chestnut base)
    alt text

• Administrators

@Thea-Radmer said in How to find preffrense photo of breeds:

Maybe someone can help me actually, I saw that the lusitano culd have the False dun modifier. but what is that? IS that just a dun??

False dun is, as the name implies, a gene that mimics the characteristics of dun but is not genetically dun. It's denoted by nd1. Horses that are homozygous for false dun (nd1nd1) tend to show the gene more strongly than heterozygotes. False dun usually creates dorsal stripes, and in some cases can create leg barring, other primitive markings, and can even cause coat dilution. Here is more information about dun and false dun with photos.

• I love a good genetic talking going on !
    So Punk, the gene must be given from a parent to be in the horse right?
    Or can it simply show up in every horse foal no mather what genetics the parents have?

• @Puck-Cantrell hm... maybe the champagne horses they talk about in the books were mere pearls then. There are two lines with "champagne" in andalusians anyway. The Maluso line and the Hacendada line. There's a lot of champagne CDE too but a CDE is just andalusian crossed with any other sport warmblood so who knows haha.

Looks like your connection to EQUUS | Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.