Winyard Estate - A Perfectly Timed Double Welcome

• Competition Committee

alt text

About Us
    Winyard Estate lies at the foothills of the Great Dividing Range in south-east Queensland. It's humble beginnings are traced back to the little eventing stable Dry Valley Stables - founded in late 2014 by husband and wife team Chloe and Richard Dunbar. As the stud grew in size and capacity and staff became short, they made the decision to close the doors on DVS and re-emerge as Winyard Estate. It now boasts a total of 19 actively competing horses in various disciplines, with many others being trained up to take over the team when the time comes.

About the Founders
    Chloe Dunbar
    Role: Co-founder, eventing rider
    Birthday: 25th January 1988
    Height: 5'7''
    Horse: WYE Daze Before
    About: Chloe was born and raised in Australia, around the south-east Queensland area. Her parents owned and ran the Range Forest Riding Centre before they divorced when Chloe was eight years old. From then, her father continued to run the centre, and Chloe started helping out, realising her love of horses and igniting her passion for pursuing a career in equestrianism. Her first pony was an Australian Riding Pony called Jules (nicknamed Tubby), who took her to many a local competition - often to a podium finish. It was at a show - at age 14 - that she met Richard - who was also competing. When she's not riding, she loves walking, reading, baking, or writing her column for the Daily News (the Symphony Hill newspaper).

Richard Dunbar
    Role: Co-founder, eventing rider
    Birthday: 14th August 1986
    Height: 5'10''
    Horse: WYE Take a Chance
    About: Richard began his riding career after an injury prevented his passion for cricket for really taking off. His father was an army man, and so he moved around quite a bit as a child, before his father retired when Richard was 12. With a secure and permanent home, his parents gave into their son's wish to get a horse of his own, and so Richard finally had his first mount: a Welsh Cob gelding named Toby. When he was 16, he was competing at a regional show, when he saw a red-headed girl riding an equally red-headed pony in the jumping ring. 15 years later, and he would have married that red-headed girl and have a stable of his own. Richard likes to keep his passion for cricket alive by helping out at the local Symphony Hill Cricket Club regional meets, and is a great friend of many of the coaches. When he's not out training or down at the cricket ground, he can usually be found on one of the trails around the stud, walking the Dunbar's border collie Kyra.

• Competition Committee

Notable Horses

Eventers:

• WYE Daze Before
      Barn Name: Daze
      Colour: Chestnut
      Breed: British Warmblood
      Height: 16.0hh
      YOB: 2010
      Rider: Chloe Dunbar
      Personality: Daze certainly doesn't live up to the myth about chestnuts: not a hot-headed bone in her body. But what she lacks in hot-headedness, she definitely makes up for in cheek and her love for a prank. Chloe sometimes swears she's one of the Weasley twins re-incarnated as a horse. She's also one of the most affectionate horses in the barn, always sidling up to you, hoping for a cuddle or a scratch under her jaw.
    • WYE Doongara
      Barn Name: Boo
      Colour: Bay
      Height: 16.1hh
      YOB: 2011
      Rider: Oliver Kadett
      Personality: 'Doongara' is Aboriginal for 'lightning', and everything about this mare lives up to the name. She was born on a stormy night, her blaze looks like a lightning strike, and she sometimes has flashes of flightiness that are over as soon as a flash of lightning. She's one of the top eventers at Winyard right now - having over 75 points to her name at only 6 years old. She loves children, and whenever we're out and about at shows or events, she is usually the one who gets all the attention from the kids. And boy does she lap it up! Her tendency towards flightiness disappears whenever she's around kids, almost as if she knows not to spook when they're around. The kids just love her.
    • WYE Take a Chance
      Barn Name: Chance
      Colour: Black
      YOB: 2009
      Rider: Richard Dunbar
      Personality: Chance is the oldest eventing stallion at Winyard, and only Richard can really ride him with any amount of success (he is quite a picky little whatsit). He will, of course, perform reasonably well with another rider, but only Richard can really pull any sort of better than good results with him. In the yard, he is usually the first horse to wake up, letting everyone know that morning has arrived by whinnying as loudly as possible - and thereby succeeding in waking the rest of the yard up as well. He loves a good long gallop, and always does the best in the Cross Country phase of eventing shows.
    • WYE Aristocrat
      Barn Name: Ris
      Colour: Grey
      Height: 16.3hh
      Rider: Christina Ross
      Personality: Ris is, quite possibly, the most stubborn horse at Winyard. But get on his good side, and he will do anything to please you (while trying his hardest to get away with trying to steal those treats he knows you have in your pocket). His rider, Christina, says that he's a total goofball in the yard and out in the field, but as soon as he gets in the trailer and gets to an event, he settles right down and becomes the ultimate in responsiveness and focused competitor. He and Kyra - the border collie - get along especially well, and are often seen chasing each other around the paddock or lazing contentedly together under a gum tree.
    • WYE Bad Wolf
      Barn Name: Rose
      Colour: Flaxen chestnut
      Breed: Hanoverian
      Height: 16.2hh
      Rider: Stephanie Townsend
      Personality: Rose - named after the infamous Doctor Who character - is a very picky mare. She definitely lives up to the myth about chestnut mares - her hot-headedness is only matched by her tendency towards throwing massive tantrums whenever she's faced with something she doesn't like or want to do. Only Steph can actually ride her with any amount of success - and even then, it's like trying to pull reliability from the Rule of Probability. Nevertheless, when she isn't throwing another strop, she is quite a flashy mover, with fantastic gaits and incredible stamina. Shame she isn't like that all the time.
    • FC Son of a Buck
      Barn Name: Gulliver
      Colour: Silver Bay
      Breed: Quarter Pony
      Height: 14.2hh
      Rider: Tyler Dunbar
      Personality: For a stallion, Gulliver is one of the quietest and most gentle stallions ever to set foot at Winyard: which makes him a perfect mount for the Dunbar's 7 year old son Tyler. He is pretty much completely bombproof, but that doesn't stop him from having a good time with a rider on his back, but he's always careful not to hurt them or make them fall. Polite, calm and sweet, with a fun streak as big as the range where the stable lives - that's what Gulliver would be described as.
    • Mystique Assassin
      Barn Name: Mysti
      Colour: Sooty Bay
      Breed: Dutch Warmblood
      YOB: 2013
      Rider: Erica Lawson
      Personality: coming soon

• The Name's Sherlock Holmes
      Barn Name: Shezza
      Height: 17.0hh
      YOB: 2013
      Rider: Thomas Lawson

UP AND COMING

• VPE Couronne
      Barn Name: Corrie
      Colour: Dark Bay
      YOB: 2012
      Rider: to be decided
      Personality: She's proven to be quite the mover, and has great energy under saddle. She's always willing to try anything!

• VPE Fetrenne
      Barn Name: Ren
      Personality: She can be a little spunky at times, but she loves to show off in the show ring.

• RFS Verona's Lady
      Barn Name: Lady
      Breed: Finnish Warmblood

• Competition Committee

Notable Horses

Dressage:

• Secret D'Hiver
      Barn Name: Diva
      Breed: Spanish Warmblood
      Rider: Willow Ali
    • WYE White Christmas Dream
      Barn Name: Snowball
      Colour: Dappled Grey
      Breed: Trakehner
      Height: 16.2hh
      Rider: Tiana Ashford
      Personality:coming soon
    • WYE Espionage
      Barn Name: Spy
      Breed: Hanoverian
      Rider: Markys Einsem

• Competition Committee

Notable Horses

Show Jumping:

• Rogue Element
      Barn Name: Rogue
      Breed: Holsteiner
      Rider: Davide Albano
    • WYE Torchwood
      Barn Name: Myffie
      YOB: 2010
      Rider: Gwenyth Cooper

• LGS Vertico
      Barn Name: Vertico
      Colour: Dappled Grey
      Rider: Carys Fletcher

• Monachyle's Quentina
      Barn Name: Q
      Breed: Oldenburg
      Rider: Rowena Harper

• Competition Committee

Notable Horses
    Ponies:

• WYE Joker's Spirit
      Barn Name: Gred
      Breed: Welsh Pony (Sec B.)
      Height: 13.0hh
      Rider: Luna Ali

• WYE Holey Joker
      Barn Name: Forge
      Breed: Welsh Pony (Sec B.)
      Height: 13.0hh
      Rider: Lillian Ali

• Competition Committee

Just a collection of pictures from 2016, to give you an idea of what we do here at Winyard :)

alt text
    WYE Daze Before and WYE Doongara enjoying a peaceful moment in their paddock late one afternoon.

alt text
    An unseasonably cool morning saw Boo having a quiet moment of contemplation.

alt text
    Our dressage team taking a break one hot day.

alt text
    Little Gred taking part in a competition in April.

alt text
    Boo and Richard at the ANZAC Day Dawn Service.

alt text
    Carys taking Vertico for a spin the day after he arrived.

alt text
    Chance enjoying an early winter's morning gallop in his field.

alt text
    Chloe and Boo taking a stroll on a warm winter's afternoon.

alt text
    Carys and Vertico competing at the Roaring Heights International, where they placed 2nd in their class!

alt text
    Happy Halloween from the Winyard team!

alt textalt textalt text
    Ris, Daze and Chance at the Texas Rose Horse Trials.

alt text
    Hamster and Mischief share a spring cuddle late one November afternoon.

alt text
    Q and Myffie - BFFs - let off some steam in their paddock after an early summer storm.

alt text
    From Chloe's Column, the horses really enjoyed "helping" with the Christmas preparations.....

alt text
    The end of 2016 also saw Ris, Daze and Chance pull in some fantastic results from the Texas Rose Horse Trials: two 3rds and a 2nd!

Well, that's about it for the recap. Now, we can only look forward to what fun 2017 brings us!

• I hope replies are allowed :monkey_face:
    I adore the details you put into your stable and horse details, they all have their own personalities. And your pictures are just beautiful too. I hope 2017 is as good for your stable as last year! <3

• Competition Committee

@Callixta-Rosella Of course replies are allowed :P Thank you so much Callixta, that really means a lot that you enjoy our updates :)

• Competition Committee

alt text

The gap in the rain came just as the multi-horse trailer pulled into the drive. Symphony Hill had experienced a very wet start to 2017, and the new arrivals had been apprehensive about arriving at their new home in less than agreeable weather.

Thankfully, the heavens obeyed their prayers and the rain let up just in time for the ramp to be lowered to the pavement. As the first of the three new thoroughbreds stepped off the ramp, a little disoriented at its new surroundings, it snorted as it breathed in the crisp, wet air.

This horse, a chestnut mare, was one of the three new arrivals at Winyard estate, set to become part of the founding ranks of the new racing team. She sniffed her human as he clipped a lead rope onto her halter and lead her away from the trailer.

The first of her companions to disembark was a bay mare, who pranced around on the pavement, her shoes ‘clip-clopping’ on the cobblestones, seemingly reluctant to get her feet wet. A snort of laughter erupted from the humans as another approached her companion and attached her own lead.

Finally, the third member of their party departed the confines of the trailer. A notoriously bad traveller, she had needed to be sedated slightly in order to get her this far, and she was still a little dopey. The human assigned to her seemed to be gentle enough though; extending the ramp out so that the incline was not so steep (these humans really do think of everything, the chestnut mare thought), and guiding the sleepy horse down the ramp safely onto the path.

Gasps and ‘oooh’s greeted the three as they walked past through the entrance courtyard, and two humans walked forward and extended their hands to the three humans, greeting each other in that way that all humans do.

The mare was more interested in what lay beyond the chatter and excitement of the humans in front of her. The farm they had found themselves at was certainly spacious, expanses of green spreading out even beyond her 310 degree vision. Her flighty friend startled as a strange animal started cackling above their heads (the humans said something about a kookaburra, or something), and the chestnut snorted.

As they were led towards their new stalls by their humans, she spotted a small paddock beside the barn, and in it, was a dark bay horse. A quick sniff of the air told her “stallion”. Said stallion was watching the newcomers with clear interest: ears pricked, eyes inquisitive and following their progress towards the warmth and comfort of their stalls. He let out a loud, welcoming whinny at the three approaching mares, and the humans turned to look.

New friends, the chestnut thought - sighing in near contentment as she was led past the field - this is going to be absolutely brilliant!

This post is dedicated to the lovely Diana, who was super kind enough to let us take on 3 of her racers in her recent closing sale. Hamster certainly thanks you Diana: 3 new girls to fawn over and make a fool of himself in front of - he couldn’t be happier!

So, ladies and gentlemen, without further ado, meet: Major Whistling EN (left), High Frequency T (middle), and Be Crushed EN (left, story POV).

I’ll introduce the humans at some point too, just had to get this one out :)

• First let me say that i love to way you did this blog! :D I love the details about your horses! And these pics are lovely to look at :D <3

• Competition Committee

@Serena-Bass Wow, thanks Serena :) I'm so glad you enjoy reading our blurbs and looking at our pics xoxo

• Competition Committee

alt text

More new arrivals at Winyard today :)

The sun finally decided to grace 2017 with its presence this morning, and these 3 - who arrived at Winyard over the holiday break - were led out and had their photos taken for the website.

So meet: VPE Vetrenne (left), VPE Couronne (middle) and RFS Verona’s Lady (right).

The two VPE horses were out Secret Santa gift from the lovely Erica Ackerson (thanks again for these lovlies Erica!), and Lady was a breeding request I put in early last year, and has been sitting in my game for a long time, waiting patiently to be let out and used.

Again, will introduce the humans later :P

• Fetrenne and Couronne are looking so lovely! Loving Verona too <3 Can't wait to see more photos of all your horses!

• Competition Committee

@Erica-Ackerson thanks dear :) there will be more, don't worry!

• You got some mighty pretty horses for Christmas! I love Couronne's facial marking, its so unique! :kissing_smiling_eyes:

• Moderation Committee

Gorgeous horses! I love your stories, they're always so detailed and interesting. Following this blog for sure :heart_decoration:

• Nice to see Major and Crushed are with you :) I used to lease them back in the day, great horses!

• Competition Committee

@Callixta-Rosella, @Nikki-Calvaria, @Lidija-Rotherford thank you for the kind words, ladies :) seems like Couronne is pretty popular already :P

• Competition Committee

alt text

“EquiMed 1, we have a Code 1 out by the log pile: 53 year old male who’s collapsed, unresponsive. Please respond.”

“Roger, please advise if QAS is en route.”

“Affirmative, ETA approximately 10 minutes.”

“Roger!”

I clicked the switch on my radio and clipped my bag onto the back of my saddle. Daze raised her head and looked at me, eyes following me as I tightened her girth and pulled down her stirrups. Within seconds, I was on her back and turning her towards the track that circled the entire course.

Nudging the chestnut mare into a gallop, we made our way past the spectators and down towards where the track became firmer and we started to pick up some speed.

The early morning sun was already beating down on my back, making me sweat under my uniform and around my helmet, but it was quickly blown away by the wind rushing past us as we galloped along the track.

The log pile combination was roughly 1.5km from base, one of the first combinations on the course, and therefore usually quite popular. Having a patient at this area certainly wasn’t unheard of.

Today though, we ran into a little problem in the form of a track block. I called out, trying to get people’s attention - get them to move out of the way (Daze isn’t easy to slow done on the best of days, let alone when she really gets going) - but they just weren’t listening.

I swore under my breath, pulling on Daze’s reins, before I spotted an escape route: a wooded path that ducked away into the trees to my right. Making a snap decision, I gave my right rein a sharp tug, and kicked Daze’s sides with my heels. She sprang forward with a snort, resuming her former pace.

We galloped along the secret path for approximately 600 metres, before the path widened and rejoined the ring-road track. Thanking the heavens for our stroke of luck, I gave Daze’s ribs another little nudge, trying to coax a little more speed out of her.

We were about 1km into our gallop when I heard the tell-tale sirens in the distance, gradually getting closer. Sighing in relief, I kept up the pace, not wanting to slow down after coming this far.

The ambulance pulled up behind us, one of the paramedics calling out of their window “Couldn’t show us the way, could you?!”

Raising a hand in acknowledgement - giving them a thumbs up - I gave my left leg a subtle squeeze, telling Daze to shift over slightly on the track. Obliging, she tossed her head and put on another burst of speed.

Rounding the final bend in the track, the horizon opened out into the clearing that surrounded the log pile combination - our destination.

Pulling a slightly sweaty mare to a halt a safe distance away, I dismounted and collected my bag from her back. Without waiting for the paramedics, I strode over to my patient, focus shifted, cool calmness settling in my mind - such a contrast to the heat of our ride.

This is what I was trained for.

Just thought I’d try out a new thing: your sim in your profession. As you may or may not know, I am currently studying to become a paramedic, and so I thought it would be cool to combine the Sims, Equus, and that into one big thing.

Starring: Chloe, Daze and random QAS (Queensland Ambulance Service) paramedics in……Mounted Medics :P

• I literally just saw this on tumblr, this is such an amazing and creative idea! I love the description of everything happening from Chloe's point of view! <3

• ohh love story

Looks like your connection to EQUUS | Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.